Ask Papa Gates.

Home Forums Community Forum Ask Papa Gates.

This topic contains 44 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by The Raven The Raven 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Brian Haner Sr.
    Brian Haner Sr.
    Keymaster

Hey All,
    Hope you are enjoying the site and learning some cool stuff. I get a ton of personal messages asking me really great questions and I was thinking it would be nice if they could be shared with everyone here. So, with that in mind – I thought it might be fun if I did a video answering your questions. I will post it here & perhaps Facebook & Instagram as well.
    You can ask me anything; questions about guitar, performance, equipment, studio, life in general. Whatever.

And . . . GO!

Richard O'connor
    Richard O’connor
    Participant

what are you most proud of throughout your career?

Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

OMG!!! Can you get ANY more amazing?! Oh gosh… where to start? I’ve had so many questions answered by you and I always have more that now I have the opportunity my mind is blank. But okay, I got one!
    How do you know when a song is “done” or a solo is “done”? Ever since I really got better with these lessons and Hail To The King, I’ve found myself butchering my old solos and redoing them. Although I can’t do what I want up to speed, I’m adding new and exciting stuff. But this is something that has been going on for over a decade with my playing. I get better, and add new stuff to old songs. How do you know when a song or solo is “done”? Thank you, Papa!! You’re the best!!

0 likes
    Dominik Gräber
    Dominik Gräber
    Participant

That’s so great!
    Do you have any tips to share regarding improvising? How to start, hand to hand coordination, focus on scales or more about feel, anything that seems helpfull. Really appreciate this!

0 likes
    Filip Tomiša
    Filip Tomiša
    Participant

What did you learn from the community?

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

When I saw that video of you playing hallelujah, according to Syn you did it on a whim. Have you ever studied that song before or do you just know it really well and play how it sounds in head?

I tend to think that in gypsy jazz 6 chords and dominant 7 chords are the most important chords so I usually use those when I want to make a gypsystem version of a pop song, Am I missing some?

And then the most important question😜: The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?

Elton Breaux
    Elton Breaux
    Participant

2 questions

1. Before moving on to shredding and writing solos, What is the one thing that should be perfected?

2. The community within the school is amazing. With constant feedback among fellow students like Jak, Ids, Calvin to name a few. Did you and syn see it working so well or has it exceeded yall expectations?

Vagelis Karagiannis
    Vagelis Karagiannis
    Participant

How do you make generic scales like the major scale or a dominant phrygian sound pleasing?A lot of people in metal and rock use it in a specific manner(the second one) and it sounds dull and cheesy.

0 likes
    Billie M
    Billie M
    Participant

That’s a great idea!

Do you have any advices on songwriting? Do you write the lyrics or the music first and how do you make them work together?

Also, do you have any advices on how to jam? I’ve received some good ones here but I’d like to know what do think.

Thank you! 🙂

0 likes
    Andrew Fernandes
    Andrew Fernandes
    Participant

Whats your favourite waking the fallen screaming song?

Lauren Morales
    Lauren Morales
    Participant

What guitarists were inspirational to you when you were first learning guitar?

Favorite Beatle?

What guitar techniques have you learned from Syn’s own guitar playing?

0 likes
    Alan Celis
    Alan Celis
    Participant

From your years of playing guitars, which are the ones that surprised you on how they played and what guitars have been your favourite?

0 likes
    Noah Berends
    Noah Berends
    Participant

What’s the story behind your favorite guitar?

0 likes
    Supraja Vadlamani
    supraja vadlamani
    Participant

What did you name your first guitar ever? 🙂

0 likes
    Lucca Massa
    Lucca Massa
    Participant

what do you think about syn having a signature guitar and what do you think about his signature guitar???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.