Ask Papa Gates.

Home Forums Community Forum Ask Papa Gates.

This topic contains 44 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by The Raven The Raven 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Millie Imber
    Millie Imber
    Participant

1. You’ve worked on a few songs with Avenged over the years, what was your favourite part about that? Was there a particular favourite song you worked on? Was there a song you wish you could’ve worked on?

2. Any favourite stories from touring / studio work you’d like to share?

Thank you for doing this and for everything you and Syn have done! You guys are awesome!!

0 likes
    Israel Stefanello
    Israel Stefanello
    Participant

My question is not about classes but something that I wanted to ask some time ago.
    what does it feel like to have a son who is a rockstar watching the young guitar playing, went through the head some time that he would become one of the best guitarists in the world today and would influence people corns
    Did you ever stop to think about it? What’s the feeling?

0 likes
    Nathaniel Tangeman
    Nathaniel Tangeman
    Participant

What’s your feeling towards 7 or 8 string guitars?

0 likes

Anonymous

If you could go back in time and learn a different instrument, what would you pick?

0 likes
    Daniel Sobota
    Daniel Sobota
    Participant

Do you think you can outshred Syn? I’d personally love to see a shred-off guest appearance between you and him on the next album. A song with both of you giving their best.

0 likes
    Jake Young
    Jake Young
    Participant

I came up with another question..any tips on how to play with the least amount of tension as possible?

Mariler Ferrer
    Mariler Ferrer
    Participant

A piece of wisdom for beginners, please 🙏. Learning music theory can be overwhelming. Do you have any tips for beginners not to get discouraged?

As a self taught learner I have gathered so many bad habits and frustrations that I could write a book. This time I am determined to erase the old mistakes and it would be great to be reminded of the most important “what not to dos” when you are learning. Which are the most common mistakes beginners make?

My last question is a little tricky one. Guitar seems to be a men’s world. What would you say to the female players in this forum to encourage us to become great guitarsts?

Really love this forum. Thanks for creating thi community 🙂

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

PG – how does it feel to be responsible for the recent incident at Waffle House? After all, if you’d not sung about a fistfight there, where else would the perpetrators have gotten the idea?

Noah Berends
    Noah Berends
    Participant

Do you (or Syn) ever regularly play extended range guitars? Additionally do you think there will be a lesson made sometime on how scales and scale shapes extend onto a 7 and 8 string guitar?

0 likes
    Jen Hapke
    Jen Hapke
    Participant

Is there one thing you would like to play on guitar and you can’t play yet? If so, what is it?

Elton Breaux
    Elton Breaux
    Participant

When are the answers coming lol. The suspense is killing me papa gates lol

Daniel Haggerty
    Daniel Haggerty
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been playing for many years and so when I joined up here recently I worked my way up through your beginners section fairly quickly, but then on the start of the intermediate section you begin harping on crossovers and practicing all your exercises both by starting with downstrokes, and then with upstrokes; I believe you when you say there is a difference. Maybe I might have missed it when I started studying how I play because I started alternate picking so long ago.

In short: Does practicing starting with upstrokes ever come back around as a necessary small finesse type thing that helps with higher techniques such as economy picking, or sweeps?

(Reference lesson 44)

0 likes
    Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

I think so. There are lots of licks where I ask myself should I start with an upstroke here? If you are going down the fretboard i feel you’ll start upstroke.

James Thomas
    James Thomas
    Participant

What’s your take on some of the more classic simplistic guitar players? Marc Bolan for example. He was far from an incredibly skilled guitar player technique wise but he wrote kick ass tunes none the less. I also see people say Keith Richards is simplistic and while I see that with some older Stones songs, the guy definitely has some more challenging stuff under his belt, and very creative (IE: Dead Flowers). I suppose my question is more so, what’s your take on players who may take a more stripped back approach to guitar playing but can write great songs regardless.

I ask because while Syn and Dime are two of my all time favorites, I’ve always found myself playing and writing more in the style of a Keith, or a Marc. And while I always go out of my way to learn all that I can, my playing style is definitely influenced by a lot of those bands that my parenrs raised me on, which is great, but it can be hard to break some of the habits you learn from players you’ve studied for so long. So any advice there would be cool too 😋 Thanks PG!

0 likes
    The Raven
    The Raven
    Participant

If you could jam with 1 guitarist from any point in history, who would it be, why would it be them, and what would you want to play?

0 likes
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.