Building a Guitar !

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kwasneski Kevin Kwasneski 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

We are almost there guys!!

Letting the paint dry

Quase

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Letting the varnish dry

Quase

This week I am going to post pictures of the guitar done!!

Hope you guys are enjoying the process!!

Take care

Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

Letting the varnish dry 2

View post on imgur.com

Kevin Kwasneski
    Kevin Kwasneski
    Participant

They look awesome!!! Great job so far!

The Raven
    The Raven
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to try my hand at building a guitar. My custom model I want to get is only $500 in hardware but I’m being quoted at over $2000-$3000 by most custom shops before I even add in my custom graphic requests.

Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

Thanks @kevin !! I am very excited for the final result.

We will assemble them on Monday afternoon.

@the raven yeah dude! It can be very expensive! But my friend just started doing this kinds of job, so i am helping him do his experiment haha.

And my guitar is also a gift from him.

If you want to share your design, be my guest!

Thanks again for the interest guys !!!!!

Best regards

0 likes
    The Raven
    The Raven
    Participant

This is the closest I could get to the idea I want for a custom build without using expensive software I don’t own and talents I don’t have.

Halo Guitar

The killer is I want a custom inlaid ebony fretboard and paint job on the guitar. Well considering just this body and neck with the hardware is estimating my cost around $3,000 I can’t exactly afford that lol

0 likes
    Kevin Kwasneski
    Kevin Kwasneski
    Participant

@gabriel Corso Not sure what type of finish you used, but make sure you let it cure before assembling. I used 2k clear glamour spray poly and my cure time was 2 weeks.

And are you doing any wet sanding and polishing?

Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

@kevin the paint we used was car paint or poliéster paint.
    I don’t know, in Portuguese we call it this way.

We are polishing and wet sanding for sure.
    But to be honest I don’t know how much my friend cured it.

Kevin Kwasneski
    Kevin Kwasneski
    Participant

Hopefully he let it cure at least a week anyway. But when you wetsand start with 1000 and MAKE SURE you sand down all shiny spots. As you can see in the image below I didnt sand down all the shiny parts:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PU_sC73lgbNmznVwzu3hlLMd8IEXHF-L/view?usp=sharing

If not you will end up with what are called “fish eyes” pock type marks in your finish
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lv_K1EiZ_AGVco_iPA6VWNBOVn9Yj9iA/view?usp=sharing

Tyrone .
    Tyrone .
    Participant

That’s awesome! How did you go about sanding the slope on the front of the body for the arm ( like the bottom left area, if the guitar is on a stand)? I’ve had trouble getting that just right in the past.

Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

@kevin thanks for the pictures mate !!!

I will post pictures of mine in a different post in about an hour. Going to pick it up in a moment.

To be honest I think that’s my friend used 1000. But I don’t know much more than that.

@tyrone he did it by hand on his sofa while watching tv, haha.
    But taking care not to get his house full of wood hahaha.

Pictures coming tonight.

The blue colour did not end up the way that I would love it to be, burn I liked it !!

Kevin Kwasneski
    Kevin Kwasneski
    Participant

1000 is just the start. Go all the way through the grits and use a sanding block. 1000,1200,1500,2000,2500,3000

Then use a rubbing compound (Use an electric polisher to save time and energy), then swirl remover, and then polish

0 likes
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Yes No