HOMEWORK: Lessons 12 & 13

Home Forums Community Forum HOMEWORK: Lessons 12 & 13

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Calvin Phillips Calvin Phillips 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Homework: Lessons 12 & 13

This week we are combining what we learned last time with the next two lessons.
    On lessons 12 & 13 Papa Gates taught the following chords Em, G, E & Am, as well as the sometimes overlooked use of silence.

ASSIGNMENT: Use the chords above to create your own progression, you may use the chords in any order you like, repetition is allowed, use a minimum of 2 chords or use them all, your call! Once you decide on your progression create a rhythm pattern to play it, the only requirement is; it MUST include the use of silence during which you will continue to do the Tik Tok motion steadily (as seen in Lesson 13). Use a metronome.

BEGINNERS: For a bonus name the notes on every string of the chords you chose and which strings aren’t meant to be played on certain chords.

INTERMEDIATES: In addition to silences, include muted string chunks in your rhythm pattern. You may change chords in any beat of a measure, not just beat 1.

ADVANCED: Alternate 1 bar of your rhythm pattern with 1 bar of arpeggios.

REMEMBER, the most important points of this assignment are:
    1) To improve your groove and rhythm; keep a RELAXED wrist, arm & shoulder at all times and continue to do the Tik Tok motion even during silences.
    2) To improve your timing and help you change chords smoothly.
    3) To tap into your creativity and improve your writing skills. Have fun with it!

Dylan Burley
    Dylan Burley
    Participant

Does it just have to be a chord progression or can you add other things to it? And where do you post it once you have finished?

Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

Riff form.Then copy and paste link here. Cant express enough to not post the link FIRST in your post.its a glitch and your post will not show.

In my eyes if you wanna expand it a bit go for it. It’s your homework. Do as you please. I may not follow suit 100% myself but I always try to apply the lesson in my riffs for the week. It has made for some great song ideas already. go all out dude.

Exactly. The homework is not supposed to be “cookie-cutter”, every person can tailor it to best address the areas where they want to expand or where they need the most practice. It’s just a starting off point, just keep it related to the material that was taught on the lessons.

Also, if you have any trouble uploading your riffs to the website, upload to youtube as “unlisted” and then copy/paste the link here.

Just another note. Because the livestream is going to be about Lesson 11. We’ll worry about this homework next week. So…extension I guess! LOL!

Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

YeJ was gonna ask if you guys were skipping 11 on the stream or not.

Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

I finally had time to do the homework again(or more likely I decided to study in the train instead of at home). I also did an A instead of an Am for some reason. It begins with a bunch of noodling which lasts a little bit over a minute you can listen to that or skip it if you want to(my camera always counts down before It starts actually recording so I noodle sometimes).

Excellent work Ids! And for sure! Any lessons you want to teach I’m down to watch your videos, I don’t know if the others have any requests. As for me, maybe some picking tips and tricks would be nice, I’m struggling with that at the moment. Especially while alternating between playing rhythm and lead.

Once again, my apologies for the abysmal audio quality, I’ll get a better camera for next week.
    Here is my homework, used all 4 chords, silences and threw a couple of muted chunks.

Rowan Morris
    Rowan Morris
    Participant

Hey, lovelies. I’m here with my homework finally. I have two videos actually. I wanted to try one with the metronome and one without, just for fun and to experiment. I think I found something I really need to work on. Also, Hector and I were planning to have the livestream tomorrow 3 pm CST/4pm EST for anyone interested…I’m just trying to keep this going until we figure out what we’re doing with the livestreams. I hope this is alright…I just really wanted to be helpful for a change. Sometimes I feel like I can’t offer as much advice as some people due to my skill level, so I just really wanted to try to help and contribute somehow.

I’m so proud of you all. You guys are literally the coolest and I love all of your videos. I only used two chords in my progression because I was not used to playing those chords and figured I could work on playing them and switching. I did my best and hope you guys enjoy viewing them.

Lesson 12 & 13 Hybrid Homework

Lesson 12 & 13 Riff Without Trying to Play With Metronome

Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

I won’t be able to make the livestream. Tomorrow

0 likes

@rowan Well done on the Chord notes! The rhythm you chose works, you are playing faster than the metronome though. If I have any time today, I’ll make you a quick video to help you out with this problem.
    Also, I won’t be able to make the livestream tomorrow either, I apologize. I have a family commitment.

Rowan Morris
    Rowan Morris
    Participant

Thank you, Aileê! And thank you both for letting me know. It’s completely ok. I know you guys can do it even if you don’t go to livestream. Like I said, I’m jus trying to keep it going. :/

Here it is Rowan. Hope it’s helpful. 🙂

0 likes
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.