Honesty.

Home Forums Community Forum Honesty.

This topic contains 36 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Ids Schiere Ids Schiere 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

i wonder why it isnt verified?

0 likes
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

alright i made my video its uploading to youtube now.

0 likes
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

i made some mistakes but i was just having fun

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

Thanks for trusting us, Billy.

You’ve got some nice note choices here and some cool phrasing. Improv is hard, and you’re doing fine with it. One thing I would suggest is that for any note you stay on for a bit, SOME FORM of vibrato should be your default. It’s okay to just sit on the note sometimes, but that should be a conscious choice, not the default. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of different “feels” you can put into a vibrato to make it interesting.

Vibrato is your heart. It’s your soul, and you should try to inject it into everything, unless you’re making a STATEMENT by not using it. (My personal opinion).

I’d also recommend trying to be a little more aware of your backing track – the beats and accents, the tempo and groove.

You’re bringing some really good stuff to the table. It won’t take much for you to see the kind of improvement you’re looking for.

0 likes
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

I understand what you are saying about the vibrato. There was some vibrato there but it’s not my default yet. I have to consciously think about it.

0 likes
    Alicia Willis
    Alicia Willis
    Participant

Hi Billy !

Let me just say I completely understand the fear ! I get nervous just trying to make a damn video let alone actually upload it. I have social anxiety and that does flow through to the virtual world as well. But let me tell you, I have NEVER had a negative comment. Constructive criticism? Of course, but nothing negating and no harsh words. This group of folks is amazing ! Don’t be afraid, we are all here to show love and support !

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

YOU DID IT!!

See, Billy?
    Now you have a video out in the internet!

Thanks for sharing that with us.
    We all know that it was hard for you, but we are happy that you uploaded it.

Firstly, this backing-track is very nice, could you share it with us ? Have you done it by yourself ?

Now your playing:
    I agree with Ed, you could slip some vibrato on your playing in order to give it more feeling.

And I think that Practicing vibrato + scales separately could give you a lot more speed and feel.

Because what I can see in the video is that you understand how to improvise, but sometimes mess up the tempo, or the feel of it.

Dude, I assure you that you are good!

Take a look at my videos, for example. I make mistakes! They are part or our learning.

Keep practicing and ask for help
    If needed.

I hope it helped you in some
    Sort of way.

G.

0 likes
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

I didn’t create the backing track I’m not good enough for that. I found it on YouTube. Here is the link https://youtu.be/wsCvG0VVQp4. It’s one of my favorites. As far as improv I can’t say how many times I have listen and played along with this track just to find a groove. I don’t always play it the same way but around about the same licks just different ways. The beginning riff I used was actually from acid rain just modified. Sometimes I use vibrato but when I get nervous I forget to. But if I have a hard time improving a fast backing track but I love to play the slower emotional style but I love to shred just haven’t figured out how to string riffs together.

0 likes
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

Thank you all for helping me get over that first major hump. This is a great community.

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

I knew I heard some A7X in there… Nice slip!

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

Thanks man!! Going to practice with it later!

Keep rocking and practicing. You will see the improvement.

0 likes
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

Thanks everyone. Ed the appraisal with the slip made me smile thanks man. Gab I will man. Thanks for the encouragement.

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

And I’m not sure if you’re aware, but this is in 3/4 (or 6/8) time. Where a lot of music is in 4/4 and you would count like this:

ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two-three-four

The 3/4 or 6/8 is counted like this:

ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three or, if it’s mentally easier:

ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six-ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six

With the capitalized numbers being the accents. Make sense? That’s a nice, classic groove, too.

0 likes
    Billy Robertson
    Billy Robertson
    Participant

Are you talking about the backing track Ed? If so no I didn’t know that I assumed it was 4/4

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

Yes, the backing track. Play it again and count along. You’ll feel it.

0 likes
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.