How did you get your first guitar?

Home Forums Community Forum How did you get your first guitar?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Supraja Vadlamani supraja vadlamani 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Supraja Vadlamani
    supraja vadlamani
    Participant

I’m interested to know how you got your first guitar. I had to drive a 100km through a terrible snowstorm in Canada to pick up my second-hand (8 year old) fender strat from a seller off Craigslist. It wasn’t in good shape and I snapped the high e within two minutes of playing it, got it fixed soon after and modified certain things and now we’re 4 months in and going strong!

Elton Breaux
    Elton Breaux
    Participant

I drove 2 hrs to see my dad who never was in the picture. I made him feel bad so he asked what he can do, i made him buy me a guitar LMAO it was a bass and then later i traded it for an electric.
    Weird story but thats how it happened lol

Supraja Vadlamani
    supraja vadlamani
    Participant

that’s actually an interesting story haha!

Dan Shipway
    Dan Shipway
    Participant

I went to a shop and bought it.

Supraja Vadlamani
    supraja vadlamani
    Participant

and the award for the best story goes to ^

Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

I bought an incredibly shitty package online for €40 or so. The guitar was a really bad nylon string guitar

Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

I’m not even 100% sure what exactly got me into wanting to play guitar. But I remember going to a used electrical store. And getting this piece of jump and a terrible amp for 75 dollars combined. My early youtube videos from my original account has this guitar. When I felt good and ready to upgrade thats when I went for the Revenger. I also bought a cheap acoustic somewhere in the middle there. But I dont have that guitar anymore.

Supraja Vadlamani
    supraja vadlamani
    Participant

@Ids, haha how long did you wait until you moved on to a better guitar? 😀

0 likes
    Supraja Vadlamani
    supraja vadlamani
    Participant

@calvin, that’s so cool haha! I hope to upgrade someday too but not until I can make the best of the guitar I have right now! Good for you 😀

0 likes
    Dominik Gräber
    Dominik Gräber
    Participant

A far related Cousin from the us brought an acoustic guitar for my little Brother for his communion in which I started playing in the end.(we live in Germany by the way) Thats how I came to Play guitar. And that cousin took me to our local music store where I fell in Love with a White Ibanez Gio. I guess I have annoyed my Patents pretty much with it because one day my father ordered the exact Same guitar from the Internet as a Gift for me.

How original was that, huh? 😀

Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

I played it for about a year. Learned the outro solo of M.I.A and Sidewinder on it. I still actually own it.

Sayonil Mitra
    Sayonil Mitra
    Participant

I got it from my father. A jumbo acoustic was lying in his room at that time and I had nothing to do. So just picked it up and plucked strings like absolute noob. My father thought, let’s get this bored kid something to learn. That’s it.

Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

My first guitar was a rental. No one in my family had any musical inclination, though my middle sister played flute through high school in the marching band. Alto Music in Monsey, NY, rented me a Fender Jaguar and a little Peavey practice amp for about $25 a month, I think. After a few months and with me sticking to it, my parents were willing to let me spend some money on something. I wound up buying my cousin’s beat up Aria Pro 2 explorer body guitar. I really wish I’d kept it, but I think I traded it in? I don’t recall. Back at Alto a couple years later, I bought an Ibanez PL1660 – their offset V/Rhoads knockoff. I wish I’d kept that one too. I bought an old Sunn tube amp from a newspaper add, and started collecting pedals. Around 1990 I bought a Fender M-80 half stack and my black RG550. In 1991 came the red Ibanez 540R Custom and a Roland GP-16 multi-effect unit. That was the core of my tone until I started playing again in 2009.

Mervin Moras
    Mervin Moras
    Participant

How much did the Craigslist guitar cost anyway? Anything more than $180 and you were scammed. Cuz my first guitar (acoustic) was around $200 and my second (electric) was $150 and it came with a free amp. Plus I still have the acoustic 🙂

Noah Berends
    Noah Berends
    Participant

My first guitar was an inexpensive classical acoustic from Guitar Center when I was 10. It was purchased because I had a lot of musical family and my mom found a guitar class that my friend was also in and she thought it would be cool for us to be in the class together. My uncle got a good deal on the guitar and so I was in the class but didn’t stay in it for long because I didn’t enjoy the classical acoustic as a beginner. Ended up sitting in a closet for a year until the uncle who got the deal on it played it at an Easter get together at our house. Less than a month later that uncle passed away, and I thought I’d pick it up again. Started taking lessons from a family friend and then a year later at the next Christmas I got my first real electric guitar, a Laguna electric and Spider IV amp from those Guitar Center starter packs. Still have the guitar, it’s absolutely beaten from trying to put a DIY fretless neck on it among other things, but it still works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.