Is it possible to plug my actual VOX amp into my interface for recording

Home Forums Community Forum Is it possible to plug my actual VOX amp into my interface for recording

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Gabriel Corso Gabriel Corso 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Matt Wildman
    Matt Wildman
    Participant

Plugins are great…but I love the metal sound on my VOX amp. It’s a tube amp and I thought I heard that you can do that to record your guitar. Is that true, or should I stick with plugins?

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

Hello, man! How’s it ?

Is it an AC15/30?

I don’t think they have an emulated out or a headphone jack.

Normally people mic these king of amps with shure SM57 (other mics too, but this one Is famous.

My marshall (Dsl20cr) has an emulated out, so I can plug it directly into my interface.

And if you have any questions about home recordings, I think that @filip can help you out as much as he helped me.
    I Think that he studied this…

Please Filip, correct me if I am wrong haha.

Hope this helps you, mate!!

Take care and good luck!

Vox amps are great! I had a VOX VT40+ and loved it! But eventually got myself a marshall tube to step up the game haha.

G.

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

Now, plug ins are great if you want to plug your guitar directly into an audio interface.

I normally use logic pros built in amps and effects.

But there are paid ones that can get you huge sounds, like bias fx, amplitube…

They have all sorts of stuff, preamps, tons of configurations, room set ups, mics.

And you can plug your guitar pedals directly into your plug in. Sounds amazing as well!!
    To short things down… plug ins are an amazing tools!

You can demo them all and see it for yourself.

Good luck my friend

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

I don’t know if that was really your question. But I hope it helps you in some way!!

And if you record something, share it with us!!

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

WARNING: Check the Vox site for this before you even THINK about it further – most tube amps REQUIRE a speaker load if they’re powered on, unless they were specifically designed to work without one – like if it has a headphone or emulation out. If it doesn’t have one of these, you can do serious damage to your power amp without a load (speaker attached) if Vox doesn’t say it’s okay to do so!

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

I think to record a tube amp properly you need to mic it. Not sure putting a line in to your computer/interface captures the same sound.

0 likes
    Filip Tomiša
    Filip Tomiša
    Participant

@gabriel everything you said is spot on 😀

I think I tried to record my amp (which is also a VOX) like that and the results were pretty disappointing. To really capture the sound of an amp you need a mic.

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

@filip !! Thanks man !!

@matt take a look on this article, it will help you a lot as well.

https://www.google.it/amp/s/blog.andertons.co.uk/learn/guitarists-guide-to-recording/amp

0 likes
    Matt Wildman
    Matt Wildman
    Participant

I’m sorry I’m just now answering all of you back lol no it’s a Vt40+. It has a headphone jack and a aux jack too. Thats all I know about it. I could probably read on the VOX website about whether or not it’s possible. Any more info would be awesome

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

Yeah! So it’s the same amp I used to have.

I have tried using the aux and phone out to record the amp directly Trough the audio interface. But the audio quality wasn’t that good to be honest.

Even my marshall, which has an emulated out with the tubes and stuff, does not sound that good.

I think that the best quality is by putting a mic in front of your amp and recording it.

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

And btw… the vox vt40+ is a great amp!

I am sure that you can get a pretty good tone out of it!

If you decide to record something, please share it with us.
    Even the process!!

Good luck, my friend

0 likes
    Matt Wildman
    Matt Wildman
    Participant

Thank you Gabriel! Yeah the VOX vt40+ is an AWESOME amp for sure!! Since I don’t have a good mic for recording I’ll just stick with plugins for now

0 likes
    Gabriel Corso
    Gabriel Corso
    Participant

Yeah, man !

There is a good website for “free plug ins” somewhere on google (I don’t know the name by heart :/).

There you can find a lot of free ones (not pirate, but free).
    I think that I have used the fender pro jr tweed simulator, I’m not sure…

Then you can experiment and decide whether you want to spend 50 dollars on bias fx for example, or on amplitube.

0 likes
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.