Solo Trouble

Home Forums Community Forum Solo Trouble

This topic contains 234 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Ids Schiere Ids Schiere 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    Oskar Foogerbrant
    oskar foogerbrant
    Participant

There’s a great mental model(please look up mental models, https://fs.blog/mental-models/ ) called “First Principles” that I love. It’s a really simple concept of breaking down something to it’s simplest form. For example, “what is vibrato”.

Love that you are posting so much on the forums, it’s really helpful and inspiring! 🙂

Reading about mental models now and i love stuff like this! Might sound strange but i feel like things like these can at times be more important when it comes to learning to play the guitar than actually talking about guitar. I used to practice 8 hours or more most days and i achieved most of my technique goals by doing it, but my mental walls blocked me so i did not progress musically the way i wanted to and i ended up quitting for almost a year. It’s only after learning to be more mindful of stuff like this that i’ve been able to tackle things that i’ve really wanted to learn for a long time. So thanks a lot for posting this!

0 likes
    Oskar Foogerbrant
    oskar foogerbrant
    Participant

@brandon Diemert I bet people have told you this already, but honestly, there’s only ONE way that i know of, that’s actually efficient and reliable, to build speed with alternate picking, or any technique for that matter: play at a tempo where you can execute whatever it is you’re playing, perfectly. It doesn’t matter how slow you have to do it, just make sure you can do it while as close to 100% relaxed as possible (in your whole body) and most importantly, ata tempo where you are able to listen to every single note that you play so you can tell when a note comes out sloppy or not clear enough. Eventually when you feel comfortable doing this at a certain tempo, take that tempo up a tiny bit, even if just by a single BPM, then repeat the process.

I don’t mean that this the only way you should ever practice technique, but when it comes to building speed you really have to analyze the smallest details in your movement, and you can’t do that if you play too fast for your brain to be able to pick up those details. I think of it like this: if the goal is to have effortless and controlled technique at high speeds, isn’t it reasonable that the best way to learn it, is to do exactly that, but at a tempo where you can actually do it?

0 likes
    Akash Ujawane
    Akash Ujawane
    Participant

I am a 15 year old boy. I’ve been playing guitar since 2 years and I’ve been a very big fan of synyster gates.I couldn’t watch them live even once because I live in India.Syn inspired me a lot and i have developed speed skill and I never got into trouble for soloing even through the fire and flames.There is my video on youtube of me playing that song just because of syn.Afterlife was the hardest solo of synyster gates but i got it learnt in less than 1 week as he is my inspiration and because I want to be a man like him I practice a lot.I hope you reply to me.

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Sorry Akash but I find it very hard to believe that you play guitar since you were 2 years old. I could barely walk and talk when I was 2 years old let alone hold and play a guitar. Maybe you are a really great guitar player but I can’t possibly know that since you did not share any videos of yourself playing.

0 likes
    Filip Tomiša
    Filip Tomiša
    Participant

I’m pretty sure he wanted to say that he’s been playing for 2 years 😀

Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Ooh yeah that makes sense😅 fricking language barrier.

Akash Ujawane
    Akash Ujawane
    Participant

yeah there’s some trouble with my english.I meant that i have been playing guitar from past 2 years.Yeah watch this.

Kim La
    Kim La
    Participant

@akash, amazing how you can play!! After only 2 years!

0 likes

I’m problems on how make a solo,and I need to learn more about it!

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Have you watched all the videos in this thread?

0 likes
Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.