Something feedback on my singing please

Home Forums Community Forum Something feedback on my singing please

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Ids Schiere Ids Schiere 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

So I like to sing sometimes and I seem to kinda struggle with creating volume. I’m also kinda insecure about my singing capabilities so some feedback would be really appreciated.

Yes I’m singing a John Mayer song again. His voice sits in my vocal range nicely and he doesn’t do a lot of fancy stuff(Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or SRV may come later(YouTube tends to block Beatles in a heartbeat))

0 likes
    Pablo De Miguel
    Pablo De Miguel
    Participant

I think that your voice sounds too low but the melody sounds good to me

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Too low in pitch or too low in volume?

0 likes
    Pablo De Miguel
    Pablo De Miguel
    Participant

volume

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Thank you!

I have some trouble with having volume and maintaining pitch so any tips there would really be appreciated!

0 likes
    Pablo De Miguel
    Pablo De Miguel
    Participant

I don´t know how to sing so i can´t give you any tips, sorry

0 likes
    Rowan Morris
    Rowan Morris
    Participant

Hi, Ids! I think you have a very nice voice! One way to improve your volume, is practice with your diaphragm. I did a practice to strengthen mine by laying on the floor, placing a book on my stomach, and carefully breathing deeply in and out. You kind of have to push using your diaphragm to increase your volume. (That might sound a bit weird, but I don’t know how else to describe it.) If you need any help or maybe a video with a few tips, I’d be happy to try to help you out. I’ve been singing since about five years old and I’m classically trained through chorus classes.

0 likes

Yep that’s good

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Thank you Rowan! I’ll try that!

Thank you Cleowell!

0 likes
    Firsty Lasty
    Firsty Lasty
    Participant

I should learn more about singing so that I can talk about singing without everything I say being worthless lol. Because I’ve worked in a deafening environment with earplugs for almost a decade it’s easy for me to be loud, but I have no idea how to explain what my body does to be loud.

I bet the reason you don’t have the vocal power you want is technique, because your voice sounds like the voice of someone singing softly. You can’t sing louder by singing softly louder. Just doing what you’re doing more forcefully would probably never work, and could hurt you.

0 likes

I recommend a book called “The Rock-N-Roll Singer’s Survival Manual” by Mark Baxter.
    It has a very detailed explanation of how to breathe and how use your diaphragm correctly with some exercises, plus how to keep your voice healthy. It is very easy to understand and an easy quick read (cause I know you don’t have a lot of free time available.
    I would start there.

Also the instructional video “The Zen of Screaming” by Melissa Cross has a very detailed explanation of how to breathe and use the diaphragm correctly and lots of good exercises, plus other good advice. Any singer can benefit from this video, not just extreme vocalists.

This two options are enough to keep you busy for a while, but if you want any other resources let me know! 🙂

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Thank you Ailee, I’ll look up that book!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Ids Schiere Ids Schiere.
     0 likes
    Alicia Willis
    Alicia Willis
    Participant

I love your sound but as others said volume b you just need to project a bit more. 🙂

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

So I just tried singing again but did not film it(yet). I found out about two things:
    1. If I focus on creating volume(and actually creating it) I tend to sing offkey which is kinda bad
    2. For whatever reason I can’t sing/speak louder enough to be heard over my acoustic guitar but I can hear myself rather clearly when I sing while playing electric guitar.

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

For #2, I’d be surprised if you’re not self-regulating your volume in your head to match guitar so that it sounds good to you. That’s where a singer’s ego can come in handy – LOL. That comes with practice, confidence, and technique.

Melissa Cross has taught proper screaming to a LOT of big-name screamers who praise her as a life-saver. The most recent I can think of is Jesse Leach from Killswitch Engage.

Ailee said a lot of shit better than I could – I want to try to sing, but I chicken out. Good for you, Mr. Brave!

0 likes
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.