Stereo recording

Home Forums Community Forum Stereo recording

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Sayonil Mitra Sayonil Mitra 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

Personally have never recorded on mono and my tracks seem to sound pretty decent tone wise. What really is the difference between the two?

0 likes
    Filip Tomiša
    Filip Tomiša
    Participant

You should always record in mono because almost everything is recorded in mono, except maybe a keyboard. To simplify it, if you play a mono signal on your speakers you will hear the identical signal in both speakers. If you play a stereo signal each speaker will play his own signal and there will be a difference bewteen the two (for example you might hear the signal louder in the left speaker than in the right one, or the signal might go from the left speaker to the right one and then back to the left one and so on… so basically you don’t hear the same thing in each speaker when have a stereo signal). That’s why you should always record in mono so you have the same thing in each speaker and then later when you go mix it you can pan it wherever you want to.

Dan Shipway
    Dan Shipway
    Participant

Here is a mono render for you so you can compare the two if you wish.

It may be a bit quiet but the master was the same on the stereo render.

0 likes
    Ed Seith
    Ed Seith
    Participant

It’s more for when you’re doing a multi-track recording, like when you’re recording a song with full instrumentation, multiple guitars, etc.

0 likes
    Dan Shipway
    Dan Shipway
    Participant

I mainly got into it because of Rammstein’s 24 track technique, to me, it gives the sound more body.

0 likes
    Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

I guess I can understand what you’re saying maybe its cause I record through headphones plugged into the PC and line 6 excels there so maybe that’s why I don’t hear the difference. I’ll have to try to switch it up and see if I notice a difference myself.

I’ll ask tho ed.. when you listened to my music could you tell it was recorded in stereo?

0 likes
    Dan Shipway
    Dan Shipway
    Participant

Something I noticed when previewing an exported .wav file for a new video was that there were volume fluctuations quite frequently, does anyone know what may be causing this?

0 likes
    Filip Tomiša
    Filip Tomiša
    Participant

Need more details

0 likes
    Dan Shipway
    Dan Shipway
    Participant

The tracks are panned 60% left and right with the same eq as the previous stereo track. I have the file type set to WAV and sample rate at 441000.

The tracks are around -6 db with the master being -1 to keep it from being too harsh.

0 likes
    Filip Tomiša
    Filip Tomiša
    Participant

And whats the problem, the volume jumps up and down or what

0 likes
    Dan Shipway
    Dan Shipway
    Participant

Yeah, the volume is not consistent and it does not sound like something playing dynamics would be responsible for.

0 likes
    Filip Tomiša
    Filip Tomiša
    Participant

Idk that can happen when you use a compressor and you mess around with the settings, but if you didn’t use one then i have no idea

0 likes
    Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

Audacity has an option to balance the entire recording to a certain db. I used to use it to balance my bass to -8dbs. Maybe using that feature will help. I’d think reaper has it too.

0 likes
    Sayonil Mitra
    Sayonil Mitra
    Participant

ufff…..nice one Dan. keep posting more

0 likes
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.