Synyster Gates School Report Project (Jak's June Contest)

Home Forums Community Forum Synyster Gates School Report Project (Jak's June Contest)

This topic contains 53 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Calvin Phillips Calvin Phillips 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Anna Gufler
    Anna Gufler
    Participant

Hello guys!

I know I haven’t been interactive in the school as of yet – I guess I’m really not the best at starting conversations with people or any of that, but when I saw Jak’s new contest I just had to jump in. Writing is something I’m pretty good at, and I thought I might as well give this contest a try!

I’ve always played music, ever since I was little. A lot of the influence stems from my mother who is an awesome musician. She can play multiple instruments, including the piano and guitar. She taught me early and encouraged me to pursue it in any form I could – I suppose she saw some form of talent in me, and still to this day her eyes light up with joy when I decided to play for her. I tried a lot of different teachers in my musical path so far, but I always found myself stuck because most of the things I wanted to learn – especially how to shred – just wasn’t anything my teachers really knew a whole lot about, so when I heard that my idol, Synyster Gates and the amazing Papa Gates were launching a school, I was beyond excited, and once I finally signed up and started with the lessons, I finally found what I had always been looking for, especially with being stuck on techniques in the past.

My most helpful lesson has definitely been “Lesson 4 – How To Hold The Pick”. Now, this may sound more than ridiculous to all of you young guitar gods out there, but I found that my playing improved a whole lot just because of the way I hold my pick. My playing used to be extremely sloppy, especially when I increased the speed, and things that used to take me hours figuring out suddenly were a lot easier after watching the lesson and really practicing the things Papa Gates explains in it. Again, this was a lesson I had no idea would ever impact me the way it did, and nobody in the past had ever specifically taught me how to hold a pick correctly in my life before – hell, I’m pretty sure I didn’t even ever know that there was a right or wrong way on how to do it. So, this lesson will definitely always stick out to me, simply because it showed me that even simple things like that can impact your playing big time.

One of my greatest improvements since I joined the school roughly a year ago is definitely the way I now tend to tackle the songs I write myself. The riffs a lot of the students create as well as the amazing lessons from Papa Gates and Syn have changed the way I used to tackle songwriting majorly. While I used to go after a certain pattern in the past, where I used to build whole songs based around one riff I’d come up with, I tend to just jam over a drum track nowadays and see what sticks. I used to almost always write the lyrics before I wrote the music, and I now don’t even understand why I tortured myself by doing that. It always proved to be incredibly difficult to just compose my songs around a few lyrics I had come up with, and usually instead of the song progressing, it reached a dead end and ended up getting scratched. But thanks to a lot of the influence by other students, I decided to try a completely new approach to my music, and it definitely helped me be less close minded and now working after some sort of formula that usually never got me anywhere at all.

I have never really been active on the school – like I said before – and unlike probably almost every student, I am not self-confident enough to upload any videos of my playing. Maybe it’s just down to me being a coward, but I feel like sharing the art you create – whether it be paintings or music, or hell even a story or book one has written – leaves the artist in a place where they are extremely vulnerable, and I am simply scared of letting anyone see my art and giving them a reason to judge me or make me feel bad about what I have created; things that happened more frequently than not in the past. Although I’d love to be a person that doesn’t give a damn about what people think, I am quite the opposite when it comes to my creations, and I take the negative things to heart and they always overshadow the good things anyone has to say about my playing in general. I definitely plan to work on that side of myself, and it is a major goal of mine to be more self-confident when it comes to my playing especially. I want to be able to record my written songs and upload them somewhere, and for once not be entirely terrified of other people tearing down my spirit. Some people are destined to do great things, and although I know I am certainly not one of them, my main ambition is to go out, play some more gigs, record some of my songs and just enjoy the music I create. I don’t dare to dream big because I’m scared of the outcome of chasing a dream that may never become reality, but one of my future goals is to at least record a demo if not a record and see if I can at least make one person feel something with whatever I create. I am more than happy to see what a positive place this school is though – all I see is people helping each other out, and everyone is extremely supportive of one another. It doesn’t matter if the person is a beginner or an advanced player, everyone is always super nice and has great advice if it is needed, and I definitely want t bite the bullet sometime and upload a few of my own achievements and be more active on here in general.

As for what got me into playing, and what my passion niche in music is, it’s definitely learning how to shred, and hard rock music in general as well as learning how to play my favorite artists songs myself. I always used to look at my idols and think that I want to be able to do what they are doing, especially playing songs and covering a lot of my idols music, I soon found out that everyone has their own techniques that makes them a great player, and I love to evolve myself by trying to figure out how they play it and what exactly they do. Music is truly something that has carried me through my darkest times, especially through my school years, which I now find ironic because I got bullied a lot for the music I was drawn to and listened to. I guess you are never really a cool kid in school if you’re artsy and into dark music, but the older I got, the more the things I used to get bullied for were the things people found cool. Playing music was one of them, and although people used to make fun of me for looking “depressed” when I played, I never let that get to me when it came to enjoying my favorite bands and exploring different kinds of music. My influences in music truly branch off a lot, I listen to pretty much anything that holds any kind of meaning to me personally, and the lyrics usually are the one thing that really draws me to a certain song, as well as the playing in general, of course. It’s hard for me to explain just how much music has truly helped me in my life, but it’s safe to say that if it wasn’t for the fact that I was able to artistically express myself, I would definitely not be here anymore. Music is my outlet, my passion, and although I’m scared to share what I create, I am thankful for every artist out there that is able to help people like me that are lost with nothing to really look forward to in life besides music. It’s a special gift to be able to transform one’s pain into art, and I’m happy I at least am able to do that for myself, and hopefully, I can share my music with people in the future, but that will definitely be a tough road ahead for me.

In conclusion, I am more than grateful that Syn did something as amazing as create this school with Papa Gates, and I hope I can evolve as a player much more and just explore different kinds of music as I go along. The options are endless, and I am stoked to see where the journey goes. I also want to thank Jak for being such an inspiration when it comes to playing and just as a person in general. Jak, if you read this, you are probably one of the coolest, most kickass people I have ever seen, and I love everything you do – from your lessons to your contest. You seem fearless, kind and just incredibly talented, and I really wish I had your kind of self-esteem when it comes to just going out there and having my voice heard. I have always deemed myself not good enough to participate in the contests before this one, but when I read the idea, I was stoked to get this out there, and want to thank you for creating the opportunity to share whatever comes out of my brain.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this. It came from the heart.

0 likes
    Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

Oh my God I have NO idea how I’m going to pick a winner! These are all so great! I have an update though I’m going to do to help you break your fear, Anna 😉

Watch for the video soon! This goes to EVERYONE!!

0 likes
    Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

HERE IT IS! EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD PLEASE FOLLOW THIS AND WATCH THE VIDEO 🙂

***NEW CONTEST RULE FOR JUNE! EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!***

0 likes
    Anna Gufler
    Anna Gufler
    Participant

@jak I love the rule, but oh boy, I’m already sweating lmao. Let’s see if my introvert self can do this.

0 likes
    Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

I agree jak. I’d even be down for a before and after thing. Could be interesting.

0 likes
    Marlyn Voe
    Marlyn Voe
    Participant

(Watch it, pls)
    Hallo guys. Jak said that we need to show our vids to the comunity to join the contest. Here u have my channel.

0 likes
    Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

Thank you so much! I don’t know how long you have been active on the school but there has been several forum topics it shoud were people were allowed to post their riffs there specifically for those who are having issues posting riffs on their page. So just for future reference keep a heads up for those kinds of posts and they will help you out! I got your videos! Thank you so much 😘😘😘🙂🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Jak Angelescu Jak Angelescu.
     0 likes
    Rowan Morris
    Rowan Morris
    Participant

You guys are knocking this out of the ballpark. I have finally taken the time to check out Jak’s forum and this one, and catch up on everyone’s reports now that my migraine warning signs have simmered down. It is such a pleasure to get to know you all in a way I probably never would have without this contest.

Anna, I relate to and understand you so much. The only advice I can offer for you is to take a leap of faith with the school and uploading videos here. I was terrified, especially because I had such negativity on one of my covers on YouTube that I ended up deleting. However, everyone here has been more than kind and constructive in the most polite ways. It’s easier for me to learn visually and some people have even taken the time to make videos for me when something just isn’t clicking the right way and I need help. Never be afraid of this school. I am still quite a bit afraid of YouTube, but that’s nothing, uploading and leaving your video on “unlisted” is easy and you can post the link here and on your riff page to share with the school so only the students here can view it. 🙂 I am also a bit of a coward at heart because what I upload and try to do is so vulnerable and dear to my heart. Never feel afraid here at the school. I actually got both of my tattoos to help me with my fear and depression and anxiety and to remind me to never give up, even when I’m afraid or it gets really dark inside of my head. I think you’ll do great and grow here. Try the unlisted YouTube method like I do, and if anyone here gives you shit (I haven’t found one yet) just let one of us know and I’m sure it will be handled appropriately. You are and always will be apart of this family, too.

0 likes
    Anna Gufler
    Anna Gufler
    Participant

@rowan I just read your message on my break at work, and honestly you made my day a whole lot better. I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way – and I definitely want to try and upload something. I just hope to god my head won’t get in the way like it usually does. YouTube is probably one of the most negative sites out there, and the unlisted video idea sounds amazing tbh. Thank you so much again for making me smile today. I hope you have a great day!

0 likes
    Rowan Morris
    Rowan Morris
    Participant

Anna, it means a lot to me to read how much I’ve made your day better. Sometimes my head gets in the way sometimes too and I just have to click the “Upload” button really quick. If you need any help with the “Unlisted” option on YouTube or anything, feel free to contact me and I will make sure I give you easy instructions to follow. You’re so very welcome! Stay bright and positive! Thank you.

0 likes
    Marlyn Voe
    Marlyn Voe
    Participant

Jak, thank you so much. Yes, I´m new here, I created my account just a few months ago. And sometimes I lost some forum topics. I dint knew that it was possible, so thank you so much for tell me that, I´ll always post my videos there.

0 likes
    Rowan Morris
    Rowan Morris
    Participant

Hi, Marlyn! Checked out your videos! Is it alright to subscribe to you??? Thank you so much for joining and coming out of your box!

0 likes
    Anna Gufler
    Anna Gufler
    Participant

Since I can’t post a new riff – I hope it works on here! I decided to play something super basic, and oh god did I get rusty. More practice is definitely in order.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Anna Gufler Anna Gufler.
     0 likes
    Adin Shepherd
    Adin Shepherd
    Participant

Sounded really good Anna, top job. Bonus points because it’s Bowie.

0 likes
    Anna Gufler
    Anna Gufler
    Participant

@adin thank you very much – I tried. But me and cameras definitely aren’t the best of friends. And I was rooting for those bonus points!

0 likes
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.