Tips for The Stage intro tapping? Reduce noise! (Too much)

Home Forums Community Forum Tips for The Stage intro tapping? Reduce noise! (Too much)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Wes Summers Wes Summers 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Bencik
    Benjamin Bencik
    Participant

So I have the string damper but I’m afraid of using it because for example Synyster doesn’t use it live either and It can be done without a string damper but I’ just do not know how sometimes my strings ring or a note doesn’t ring because I accidentally mute it because I don’t know how to mute correctly when tapping. I only have problems when I do the fast fills.

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Yeah the string skipping is pretty tricky. I just try to mute with the flesh of my fretting hand and try to palm mute the strings I don’t want to sounds

0 likes
    Benjamin Bencik
    Benjamin Bencik
    Participant

You think that theres any video tutorials or something? Covers of the stage sound so clean I don’t know what’s wrong.

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

There is a good tutorial by chris zoupa I think

0 likes
    Sayonil Mitra
    Sayonil Mitra
    Participant

The chris zoupa tutorial is really good. Some players use a hair band close to nut so that you can easily slide it across the nut along the neck.
    It just needs a swift touch to get it on/off strings. Syn does not use it may be cuz….he is THE syn.

0 likes
    Benjamin Bencik
    Benjamin Bencik
    Participant

Exactly I don’t want to use it either I have the chance but once It’s live I won’t be able to do so..

0 likes
    Sayonil Mitra
    Sayonil Mitra
    Participant

There is another way for avoiding the string noise. usually the open strings ring when the tapping finger accidentally touches strings other than the desired one. usually the tapping finger moves almost perpendicularly to the strings. make the movement as parallel to the desired string as possible. This will reduce the intensity of each tap. But practice will increase the force of the tapping finger. its hard but do-able.

0 likes
    Wes Summers
    Wes Summers
    Participant

I’m not sure how big your hands are, but one of thing I do for The Stage intro and many other tapping licks that involve string skipping is use my thumb to curl around the top of the neck and fretboard to lightly mute the lower strings. And as I’m using my left hand to hold the note (as I tap with my right hand) I lay my finger across the higher strings while I am tapping said notes. It reduces most all of the noise. Hope that helps!

0 likes
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.