Your First Week Challenge Is Here!

Home Forums Community Forum Your First Week Challenge Is Here!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Jak Angelescu Jak Angelescu 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

This is in part of what I’m trying to do to help get the students engaged in more of like a “class-like” structure. The best part of it is, is if you can’t participate for whatever reason, not a problem! Hop on the weeks that you can 🙂

This week is over Lesson 7-The major scale.

One of the good things about this, is that I will issue challenges for both beginning and advanced players! Next Sunday, you can go live with me on Instagram and “perform” your homework for me (and probably others) to not only ebb your fears of performing in front of other people, but also get feedback.
    So here’s your homework for the week over lesson 7!

Beginners: By memorizing the pattern of “whole whole half, whole whole whole half”, find at least THREE other major scales and their notes and be able to play them and name the notes as you play them. For example, if you decide to try and find an E major scale, you’ll start on E and you can use that formula to figure out the rest of the notes.

Intermediate: Choose a backing track on YouTube of a major key of your choice and compose a 30 second solo utilizing at least two scale positions of that major scale. Also, you must include a favorite lick of yours from another guitarist in a solo and transcribe it to your chosen key signature and use it in that solo.

Advanced: Compose a 45 second backing track in your chosen key signature and compose a 45 second solo using at least three scale positions, one of which has to be the relative minor scale of the major key you chose. You also have to incorporate at least two whole step bends and one arpeggio of either scale you choose. You can simply record your backing track on your phone if you don’t have fancy software and play it back playing over it live.

***NOTE*** Please also post your videos of your homework here so Syn, Papa Gates and everyone else can see them!!

See you guys next Sunday!

Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Oeh I like this!

Now here is the thing I have no clue in which category I would be😅

Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

Take your pick, Ids! 🙂

0 likes
    Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

You can always try all 3. May not be in on this 1 but I’ll do what I can. Pretty big lesson to start on. Lots of patterns to pick up for later techniques.

Dominik Gräber
    Dominik Gräber
    Participant

Awesome! I really need to push myself to fullfill those tasks! I’ll see if I find the time to participate in this one.

Rod Azeite
    Rod Azeite
    Participant

I’ll shoot for the intermediate and if I finish and still have time I’ll do the beginner as well. I really like the idea Jak, if you need help thinking of the next challenges let me know!

Matt Wildman
    Matt Wildman
    Participant

Same here I’ll do my best to try and participate. Awesome ideas

Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

I absolutely love all these responses! I chose this lesson to start with because like PG says, it’s literally the building block for all your future music work. And it’s CRUCIAL to truly be able to understand it. I really am eager to see everyone’s work!

@rod Thank you for the offer! I will probably take you up on that sometime in the future for sure, because I’ll eventually start running out of ideas :/

Rod Azeite
    Rod Azeite
    Participant

No problem, glad to help!

0 likes

These are awesome ideas! And so much fun!

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

I know I’m a bit early but here’s mine

Jak Angelescu
    Jak Angelescu
    Keymaster

Omfg!!! IDS!!! I’m not gonna lie I think that was the most beautiful thing I have ever f******* heard you play since I have known you! Those bends totally captured my heart! The melody was beautiful and stunning, the harmonies were glorious! This literally moved me to tears and I squeezed my chest with my hand because I loved it so much! Please keep working on this so that you remember it to perform it for everyone on Sunday! What key signature did you choose?

0 likes
    Ids Schiere
    Ids Schiere
    Participant

Thanks Jak! Weirdly enough I have a skill in writing melancholic chord progressions which usually, when I solo over it, results in solos like this. I just don’t really always record and share them here.

It’s in G major!

0 likes
    Calvin Phillips
    Calvin Phillips
    Participant

If you post your stuff.. I have a bit of an idea. Try and describe the set up of the video. For example.. what techniques did you try.. did you mix anything together? I have some ideas myself for mine but imma keep it a secret for how.

Dominik Róg
    Dominik Róg
    Participant

@jak & everyone else interested… my attempt is already on my riffs page 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.