S

Alternate Picking I

Lesson by: SynGates.com

Dominik Graeber

Nov 11, 2019
Saarland
I may need to start including the first etudes of all the tracks in my daily technique practice. I like the idea of doing that. I'm a little bit afraid I'll economy pick this by default though 😅
I think that's a good Idea as Long as you don't overdo it. As I know me, If I'd try that I would end Up Not practicing any of them enough to ever Progress😂

Reactions: Ids Schiere

Ids Schiere

Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
www.facebook.com
My habbit to economy pick any 3 note per string thing messing me up a little bit here. If you follow the up and downstroke pattern as shown in the tabs it is also a great outside picking exercise!

Ids Schiere

Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
www.facebook.com
I've been working on this one, economy picking I and legato I so I decided to do improv using those. I don't really follow all of them exactly all the time because they kinda are scales and I'm not a big fan of doing that in my improv 😅 also I think I barely alternate picked here because I always economy pick things that are 3 note per string

• Love
Reactions: carlosmqr

Dominik Graeber

Nov 11, 2019
Saarland
Man, I've been doing this entirely wrong. As @Stephen Vicole pointed out I played it in a more economic way, using a downstroke to get to the next string with another downstroke, when the motion should be down / up no matter what I play. That makes this so much harder.

But I have a question now. What is strict alternate picking good for then? I see no point in doing straight down ups in a real musical context when economy picking is so much easier.

Ids Schiere

Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
www.facebook.com
Man, I've been doing this entirely wrong. As @Stephen Vicole pointed out I played it in a more economic way, using a downstroke to get to the next string with another downstroke, when the motion should be down / up no matter what I play. That makes this so much harder.

But I have a question now. What is strict alternate picking good for then? I see no point in doing straight down ups in a real musical context when economy picking is so much easier.
I never strictly alternate pick tbh. It's more aggressive to do so but I'm not into that so much.

Reactions: Dominik Graeber

Dominik Graeber

Nov 11, 2019
Saarland
I never strictly alternate pick tbh. It's more aggressive to do so but I'm not into that so much.
Yeah that is my point, I see no benefit in strictly alternate picking. But, in fact you are missing the point or are "cheating" on the alternate picking etude if you economy pick it. That's how I see it.

Ids Schiere

Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
www.facebook.com
Yeah that is my point, I see no benefit in strictly alternate picking. But, in fact you are missing the point or are "cheating" on the alternate picking etude if you economy pick it. That's how I see it.
I don't know if it's necessarily cheating. I look at the etudes as things you can throw in your solos, like a lick. If you play it differently from Syn that makes it kinda cooler to me.

Dominik Graeber

Nov 11, 2019
Saarland
I don't know if it's necessarily cheating. I look at the etudes as things you can throw in your solos, like a lick. If you play it differently from Syn that makes it kinda cooler to me.
Still you're missing the point of an alternate picking exercise. If you look at Economy I it looks very similar to Alt I in that you play three notes per string. It is way easier and comfortable to economy pick Alt I, but not what the exercise is ment for.

Calvin Phillips

Nov 11, 2019
cambridge ontario
www.reverbnation.com
If you shred on the same string or same 2 strings. It makes sense to alternate pick. If you are jumping strings or going vertical definitely economy picking. It honestly depends on what you do. I'll tell you when i play i cant even say if I'm doing 1 or the other. I dont think what kind of picking should i do. I just let my body do what feels best. There are parts im weak at like descending runs. But they are improving. I just need to remember to start on up strokes.

Dominik Graeber

Nov 11, 2019
Saarland
If you shred on the same string or same 2 strings. It makes sense to alternate pick. If you are jumping strings or going vertical definitely economy picking. It honestly depends on what you do. I'll tell you when i play i cant even say if I'm doing 1 or the other. I dont think what kind of picking should i do. I just let my body do what feels best. There are parts im weak at like descending runs. But they are improving. I just need to remember to start on up strokes.
Naturally. Can't Economy Pick on one string