S

CAGED System – Changing Pentatonic Scales – Two Chords – D & C – Lesson 29

Lesson by: SynGates.com

Wally

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Are there any other jam tracks that would be helpful to practice this to? I find it hard to play along to this jam track.

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    But if I recognize the shape that's being used for the chord wouldn't that also be the shape for the pattern that I'm using? For example if the chord is a D shape couldn't I play the D shape pattern to match the chord?
    Yes in principle you can however it's important to understand that that's not really why you meant CAGED. If you take for example a D shape chord, for example E. You simply play an E chord in a D shape and over that E chord you can play the E major scale and the E major pentatonic for example. Where you play this E major pentatonic doesn't matter so much as long as the notes you play fit the chord. Whether you play the D shape pattern or the G shape pattern it will all work. CAGED is merely a way to play the scale or chord all over the neck and besides that there isn't really a rule that says you need to play D shape pattern over D shape chord. Try to understand CAGED in a way of 'I'm playing this scale all over the neck instead of I'm playing this pattern' that last thing is important because scales merely make it easier to forge lines and melodies that fit the chord and that's in the end what you want to do not just play patterns.

Reactions: chris_is_cool

Wally

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Yes in principle you can however it's important to understand that that's not really why you meant CAGED. If you take for example a D shape chord, for example E. You simply play an E chord in a D shape and over that E chord you can play the E major scale and the E major pentatonic for example. Where you play this E major pentatonic doesn't matter so much as long as the notes you play fit the chord. Whether you play the D shape pattern or the G shape pattern it will all work. CAGED is merely a way to play the scale or chord all over the neck and besides that there isn't really a rule that says you need to play D shape pattern over D shape chord. Try to understand CAGED in a way of 'I'm playing this scale all over the neck instead of I'm playing this pattern' that last thing is important because scales merely make it easier to forge lines and melodies that fit the chord and that's in the end what you want to do not just play patterns.
    I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying here. So basically I could play any pattern as long as my notes match the chord? And I could also play those patterns in different positions if I need to correct?

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying here. So basically I could play any pattern as long as my notes match the chord? And I could also play those patterns in different positions if I need to correct?
    Yes pretty much. You can switch positions as you please

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William Byerley

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Nether World
    @Wally I think Calvin means record some chords/notes you want to play over in your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and put a simple beat under it. There's lot's of jam tracks on "Youtube" and if you have a looping station/pedal, that works too.
    You can try the scales and play them over your favorite songs. I didn't read all the comments having a hard time catching up :explode-skull:

I'm sure there's some free apps online where you can push a few buttons and have a looped something going on. I tried this D.J. thing before not with my guitar

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    How do I do that? 😮
    I literally set the metronome and strum a progression. And play whatever I feel. Palm mutes.. power chords.. etc. All the same chord progression though. This helps me paracicemy rhythm before I get into the real improv practice.