• Syn and Papa Gates stream coming soon!

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream May 5th 1:00 CDT.
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

Changing string gauge

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Hey guys!
I really want to start covering some dethklok/galaktikon in the near future, so Im going to be changing string gauge on my snow falcon (flying v) from .10-.52’s to .12-.56’s. Dont really have a guitar tech anywhere close (like an hour away) so im going to do it myself! I know ill have to adjust the truss rod, and intonation. Is there anything else i should do to ensure a proper setup?

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
I would honestly encourage you to get a professional to do it, changing string gauges causes a lot of problems, especially when you are going to that 12 - 13 gauge, it it's just a step then it should be fine. But I would honestly have a luthier do it for you, that way you can be certain of no screw ups!

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
I would honestly encourage you to get a professional to do it, changing string gauges causes a lot of problems, especially when you are going to that 12 - 13 gauge, it it's just a step then it should be fine. But I would honestly have a luthier do it for you, that way you can be certain of no screw ups!
I definitely would if the nearest guy to do it wasnt an hour and a half away i just looked it up 😂 ive done my research so far and from what i can tell since im going down a major third, the gauge im going to will keep about the same tension as .10’s in Standard E

Reactions: Edward John

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Imo guitar setup is always better to do yourself if you can. Here's the thing- if a guitar doesn't have a floyd rose bridge there is almost zero cost and risk to simply throw the new strings on and see what problems do/don't exist. Just put them on and have a look. Are the nut slots a problem or not a problem? How's the neck relief? That takes just seconds to eyeball and get a general idea. I pretty much never feel a need to adjust string height at the bridge, so that might not even be a thing to worry about. If you put on the new strings and everything is a disaster, then just take them off and put the good strings back on while you figure out your next step.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Imo guitar setup is always better to do yourself if you can. Here's the thing- if a guitar doesn't have a floyd rose bridge there is almost zero cost and risk to simply throw the new strings on and see what problems do/don't exist. Just put them on and have a look. Are the nut slots a problem or not a problem? How's the neck relief? That takes just seconds to eyeball and get a general idea. I pretty much never feel a need to adjust string height at the bridge, so that might not even be a thing to worry about. If you put on the new strings and everything is a disaster, then just take them off and put the good strings back on while you figure out your next step.
Yeah it doesnt have a floyd; if it did i would definitely drive the hour and a half to have it professionally done!