• Syn and Papa Gates stream coming soon!

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream May 5th 1:00 CDT.
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

FRETBOARD Memorization/Visualisation

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Whaddup Synner FAM!

As many of you know I do a series on this site called CJ's 2 Cents on the lessons of this wonderful site. And I also did one on the topic of memorizing the freboard:

In the video I used a clip of Uncle Ben/Ben Eller to explain the concept of Chunking....well Uncle Ben did it again!

Here is a video of him explaining an amazing trick to fretboard memorization that I just fell in love with!

Try the trick out! Every note IS EVERYWHERE!

Cheers!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
He's my favorite YT teacher for guitar, he told me why I sucked at guitar and said he was my uncle. This is nice, I've been taking in all this theory, I need to practice more specifics. This is how a7x writes the nice guitar duals?
P.S. I only saw like 2-3 videos from him cause I haven't been learning for a awhile and found him only just like 3 years ago.
He is amazing! Watch more of his stuff!

Jak Angelescu

Guitarist for Unknown🎸 Mother of Dragons🐉
Staff member
Legend
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Kansas City, MO
    that's awesome you found another great video! I however know that depending on what style you play or how you want to play, the CAGED system is very beneficial. So I wouldn't toss it completely. That's my 2 cents😉😉

• Haha
    Reactions: Christian Schulze
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Great video! I tend to try and think in the simplest way possible to memorize the fretboard as my memory is atrocious :LOL:

The way I think of it is surrounding the 'natural notes' - no sharps or flats: I just remember that BC & EF are always stuck together and everything else has a sharpened or flattened version of the note separating it. Every string is just this process happening from a different note. Take the Low E string for example:

The open note is E, so 1st fret must be F (as they're stuck together) next fret would be F# (one fret up from F - also one fret below G - so you could call it Gb too!) Then you repeat the same process until you reach B, which is stuck to C on the next fret, eventually you'll end up on 12th fret E an octave above.

The trick is to practice going to all of the 'natural notes' on each string (no sharps or flats), and visualize the shape that you build between the 1 fret gaps and your BC & EF's - This will give you solid placeholders on every string for your natural notes so that if you want to find an A# for example, you only need to see she shape & go one fret above A.

I use this method because you technically only have to memorize a shape on a string, and remember the string name starting it all.

Cheesy rhyme to remember: B&C, E&F, other notes have a 1 fret stretch 🤟

Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Great video! I tend to try and think in the simplest way possible to memorize the fretboard as my memory is atrocious :LOL:

The way I think of it is surrounding the 'natural notes' - no sharps or flats: I just remember that BC & EF are always stuck together and everything else has a sharpened or flattened version of the note separating it. Every string is just this process happening from a different note. Take the Low E string for example:

The open note is E, so 1st fret must be F (as they're stuck together) next fret would be F# (one fret up from F - also one fret below G - so you could call it Gb too!) Then you repeat the same process until you reach B, which is stuck to C on the next fret, eventually you'll end up on 12th fret E an octave above.

The trick is to practice going to all of the 'natural notes' on each string (no sharps or flats), and visualize the shape that you build between the 1 fret gaps and your BC & EF's - This will give you solid placeholders on every string for your natural notes so that if you want to find an A# for example, you only need to see she shape & go one fret above A.

I use this method because you technically only have to memorize a shape on a string, and remember the string name starting it all.

Cheesy rhyme to remember: B&C, E&F, other notes have a 1 fret stretch 🤟
    Yess kinda like the chunkint method I explained in my 2 cents video!

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston