Getting rid of tone knobs.

Lindsey

Nov 16, 2019
The Netherlands
Guitar Experience (years)
I'm thinking about changing my guitar. It's a strat, the volume knob is too high for my liking I keep hitting it while playing and since I don't use the tone knobs I thought I might as well get rid of them. Both of them are always full open.
Now I'm wondering if just removing them will affect the sound of the guitar?
And how it will affect it?

Ids Schiere

Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
www.facebook.com
It means you need to dial it such that it is in a setting you like. However, wouldn't advice doing it. It significantly limits your tonal options.

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
My first guitar was a cheap version of a strat and i hated that volume knob. It's too high like you said. I just removed the knob cap and then set the volume just by rolling it with my fingers. The knob cap is there just for the estetics.

Last edited:

Ethan Keeling

Nov 11, 2019
Aylesbury, England
Im the same, i knock the volume and even the switch! Could you try re wriring the volume to the knob furtest away from you and then take off the other 2 knobs perhaps?

Reactions: Lindsey

Calvin Phillips

Nov 11, 2019
My volume knob is in the worst spot possible.. but as I get better tucking my fingers this issue is less and less important

Reactions: Lindsey

Lindsey

Nov 16, 2019
The Netherlands
It means you need to dial it such that it is in a setting you like. However, wouldn't advice doing it. It significantly limits your tonal options.
I don't use the tone knobs on this guitar so that won't be an issue. Thanks for the reply

Lindsey

Nov 16, 2019
The Netherlands
My first guitar was a cheap version of a strat and i hated that volume knob. It's too high like you said. I just removed the knob cap and then set the volume just by rolling it with my fingers. The knob cap is there just for the estetics.
i have a missing knob cover on another guitar, without it the knob underneath breaks off easily. It happened to me on a guitar and on a bass. I do not recommend that, those are harder to replace.

Lindsey

Nov 16, 2019
The Netherlands
Update: I've been reading about it and it says without the toneknobs the tone may become bright and harsh in quality.
Perhaps I only get rid of one

Ids Schiere

Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
www.facebook.com
I don't use the tone knobs on this guitar so that won't be an issue. Thanks for the reply
The weird thing with tone knobs is you don't use them until you do. So taking them out may be fine now but later down the line you may wish you have them. I for example have my tone knobs at 5 for my strat a lot.

Lindsey

Nov 16, 2019
The Netherlands
The weird thing with tone knobs is you don't use them until you do. So taking them out may be fine now but later down the line you may wish you have them. I for example have my tone knobs at 5 for my strat a lot.
That's what people say. I can't miss it on my other guitars but on this one they don't make much difference. Plus I can always put them back. I'll try just one of them first.

Lindsey

Nov 16, 2019
The Netherlands
WDUSSS5L1101__23060.1481743897.jpg
Update: After messing around with it a bit I decided to leave one tone pod on it. I'll look into wiring more closely, but is there something I should know?