Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

good amp settings For metal or rock

Roman1209

Oct 6, 2020
Canada
So i been playing for a good couple months now i been trying to find a good Metal/hard rock something like A7X but i can never find the right settigns i use a Fender Hot Rod Deville or i use my epiphone 10s amp one of two also i have boss pedels I mainly use my Chorus and distortion pedal but any recommendations for a good settings

Ids Schiere

Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I use pretty high mids and treble for definition. Basically, I have bass at around 3, mid at 7 and treble and presence around 9.

Of course you also need to adjust the amount of gain but that's very much personal preference imho

Chris Johnston

Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    A good Metal sound can depend on a few things - The way I tend to get a sort of A7X like tone is - (this is with my Strat) :

1. Bridge pickup on guitar
    2. A decent amount of Gain but not drowning in it - maybe about 3oclock position?
    3. Half way on Mids
    4. Half way on Treble
    5. a bit less than half way on Bass

One crucial thing for me is to use a Compressor with a decent bit of Attack & Sustain - this really helps with the whole SYN like sound.

I notice that with every amp my settings will differ, so I'd imagine it will be the same with a different amp & guitar - it's pretty much all pertaining to your ear! You'll probably tweak it around until your ear likes it 🤟

Andrei Moraru

• Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    A good Metal sound can depend on a few things - The way I tend to get a sort of A7X like tone is - (this is with my Strat) :

1. Bridge pickup on guitar
    2. A decent amount of Gain but not drowning in it - maybe about 3oclock position?
    3. Half way on Mids
    4. Half way on Treble
    5. a bit less than half way on Bass

One crucial thing for me is to use a Compressor with a decent bit of Attack & Sustain - this really helps with the whole SYN like sound.

I notice that with every amp my settings will differ, so I'd imagine it will be the same with a different amp & guitar - it's pretty much all pertaining to your ear! You'll probably tweak it around until your ear likes it 🤟

I find that having 3 o'clock gain is actually a bit much when I record, I actually end up at like 12 or 1 :LOL:. Other than that, that's a pretty good starting point. I don't use too much compression, though I assume it could work sometimes.

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I find that having 3 o'clock gain is actually a bit much when I record, I actually end up at like 12 or 1 :LOL:. Other than that, that's a pretty good starting point. I don't use too much compression, though I assume it could work sometimes.
    Right enough! A lot of the time I end up doubling back myself on the gain, cause it gets a bit mushy sounding :LOL: I'd recommend playing around with some compression if you're looking for that kinda tone, it was the kinda eureka effect for me when doubled with gain to get the sound I was looking for 🤟

Reactions: Andrei Moraru
    Search over 1 MILLION titles!