S

Overview of the Circle of 5ths – Lesson 37

Lesson by: SynGates.com

Edward Lilly

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Earth
The only help that I think I could recommend is print one out and taps it to the back of your guitar and always look at it. Therefore it’s always with you.

Jim Kleman

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Great lesson. The only thing I can think of to aid in memorization of the order of sharps and flats is the “Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle,” and “Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles’s Father” mnemonics. The order of sharps is the first letter of each word in “Father Charles..” and the flats are the first letter of “Battle Ends...”. It’s just a memorization technique, however. Without a great explanation, like you laid out, it ain’t worth much.

Nathaniel Brower

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I've always struggled with the immediate application of theory, without it I'll usually forget the concept. Besides being able to construct basic chords in their relative key has anyone else found good uses for the circle of 5th's?

Ids Schiere

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    www.facebook.com
    I've always struggled with the immediate application of theory, without it I'll usually forget the concept. Besides being able to construct basic chords in their relative key has anyone else found good uses for the circle of 5th's?
    circle-of-fifths--1523016231.jpg
    If you take both rings the inner ring are the relative minors of the major chords in the outer ring(C#m is the vi chord in the key of E for example). If you take either ring going counter clockwise is always V-I and clockwise is always IV - I so you can also deduct the IV chord and the V chord from the circle of fifths.

If you take A for example D is the IV chord, E is the V chord and F#m is the realtor minor.

Brian Haner Sr.

Administrator
    Staff member
    Nov 11, 2019
    View attachment 791
    If you take both rings the inner ring are the relative minors of the major chords in the outer ring(C#m is the vi chord in the key of E for example). If you take either ring going counter clockwise is always V-I and clockwise is always IV - I so you can also deduct the IV chord and the V chord from the circle of fifths.

If you take A for example D is the IV chord, E is the V chord and F#m is the realtor minor.
    Exactly! A great way to learn the blues (I-IV-V) in all 12 keys! Move counterclockwise and it's the IV, move clockwise and it's the V.

Pyrokinetics

New Student
    Jun 27, 2020
    Belarus
    I've always been scared of the circle of fifths, especially after learning about it in band class, it was even more confusing, but I took piano lessons from when I was 5 and learned the order of flats and sharps (FCGDAEB and BEADGCF) and when he showed that it was on the circle starting with C - CGDAEB, my mind was blown and it made it 100% easier for me to memorize and understand it, I'm so glad I came back to this course and reviewed it to see if I'd get it if I watched it again lol