• Syn and Papa G stream Tomorrow 1:30 CST

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream Sept 30th.

"Paradigm Strings" Problem With Sustain?

Jak Angelescu

Guitarist for Unknown. I Run This Joint
Staff member
Legend
Sep 24, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Hey guys. My singer bought me a pack of the Paradigm ernie ball strings and I LOVED them. But after barely having them on for a week, it seems like the sound deadens out really fast. Like I have reverb on almost all the way up and it hardly has any sustain. But I also haven’t changed my battery in a while but it seems fine. Does anyone else have any things about the paradigm strings? Like, it goes quiet before I can even hold the duration of the note. It doesn’t seem to have that hot activity sustain that high gain has. TIA!

Radu-Cristian Perde

New Student
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Montreal
Yeah i tried the paradigm and i felt they died out pretty fast. went back to the standard ernie ball and it was better. At least, thats my experience

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’ve never had any weirdness with paradigm strings, but I haven’t used them very often. I switched to only using d’addario ‘cuz they make more different sizes of strings than anyone else and I like to be a mad scientist with string gauges.
My current standard tuning strings, which nobody asked for and I expect nobody will copy: 46 34 24 15 11.5 8

Calvin Phillips

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah I never bothered to switch…mainly cause I dont break strings so why make them more durable.
Theoretically.. if they are more durable.. it’s a different material.. or something was added.whatever that was that adds to the durability it must effect the tone in some way. So it makes perfect sense if they die off faster. I guess theres pros and cons to every small thing.

Eric Kane

New Student
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I’ve never actually tried the Paradigm strings, but I have heard that they die out fast. I tried the Cobalt Slinkys (Heavy Top Skinny Bottom) a couple years ago and loved them. That’s all I use on any of my guitars now.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Nov 11, 2019
Marana, AZ USA
Every “premium” string set I’ve tried, I don’t notice any significant enough difference to make them worth it. “Oh, these strings are ‘brighter’?” Well, since you put the strings on all the guitars anyway, I can just compensate for that with EQ or treble adjustment. Duh. $5/6 strings are all a player needs, IMO.

Noah Berends

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Paradigms are the only strings I’ve ever used that have rusted within a month. I’m not a fan.