Pentatonic scales

joshuag5732

Mar 31, 2020
Guitar Experience (years)
The major and minor pentatonic scales appear to be exactly the same. Am I wrong?

Alan Carter

Nov 11, 2019
Physically, they can be exactly the same shape in the same position. The difference is the root note.

ie. the e-minor pentatonic is the same shape and position as the g-major pentatonic.

If you look at the notes say on the high (or low) E string, fret 12 is the E, fret 15 is the G. So a simple way to play lead over a major chord is to use find the major chord note on the E string, move three frets back, and play the "minor" pentatonic shape over it, it will sound good.

Chris Johnston

Nov 11, 2019
North Ayrshire, Scotland
The major and minor pentatonic scales appear to be exactly the same. Am I wrong?
Hey Joshua!
You're technically not wrong at all. It all depends on the context.

For example, if I were to plot out the C Major Pentatonic & A Minor Pentatonic on the guitar neck, the shapes made would be identical - Because both scales share the same notes.

But whether the sound your making with the shape is treated as a Minor or Major Pentatonic depends on the Harmony or Chord your playing over. It will sound minor over an A minor chord and Major over a C major chord etc. Because the notes you will hit in the scale will have a different relationship to the notes in each chord.

Hope this helps! 😊

joshuag5732

Mar 31, 2020
Hey Joshua!
You're technically not wrong at all. It all depends on the context.

For example, if I were to plot out the C Major Pentatonic & A Minor Pentatonic on the guitar neck, the shapes made would be identical - Because both scales share the same notes.

But whether the sound your making with the shape is treated as a Minor or Major Pentatonic depends on the Harmony or Chord your playing over. It will sound minor over an A minor chord and Major over a C major chord etc. Because the notes you will hit in the scale will have a different relationship to the notes in each chord.

Hope this helps! 😊
Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Chris Johnston