• Syn and Papa G stream September 30th

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream Sept 30th.

Progressive Metal Writing

Ids Schiere

New Student
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
www.facebook.com
12/8 and 3/4 are pretty cool too! I think Paul Gilbert goes a little crazy with weird time signatures too on his latest record and vibrato so maybe check those out.

The occasional bar of 2/4 in between can also sound really cool. I think Avenged used that in Exist

I forgot to bring my headphones so I can't listen to your cover now. Will do that later!

Cedric L

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Germany
Love your song! In the last time I hear a lot of Periphery. My favorites are 7/8 and 5/4.
But isn't your song in 4/4?
Anyway the transition from clean to distorted sounds great!

Filip Tomiša

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I like the song. I listen to all of those bands that you wrote and I definitelly hear some Plini influence, the lick at 0:56 really reminds me of "Electric Sunrise". I'm not sure about the time signatures but just look at the ones that aal, dt, plini and intervals usually play and use those. Drums also play a really important role in the progressive music so you can't slack on them but you did a good job on programming them. The intro drums sound like something Polyphia would use and then the rest is more like intervals or plini.

Calvin Phillips

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Been a while buddy nice to see you around again!

I dont really know and newer bands honestly. I'm afraid to listen to new music these days lol

Reactions: MNR SYN

MNR SYN

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Indonesia
www.youtube.com
12/8 and 3/4 are pretty cool too! I think Paul Gilbert goes a little crazy with weird time signatures too on his latest record and vibrato so maybe check those out.

The occasional bar of 2/4 in between can also sound really cool. I think Avenged used that in Exist

I forgot to bring my headphones so I can't listen to your cover now. Will do that later!
12/8 and 3/4 are some common time signature, and yes they are sounds cool.
I want something like 13/8 in Electric Sunrise by Plini but they are too hard to create for a new song

That's good, you should listen with headphones, the mix is not too good to listen on Phone speaker or laptop speaker.

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko

MNR SYN

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Indonesia
www.youtube.com
Love your song! In the last time I hear a lot of Periphery. My favorites are 7/8 and 5/4.
But isn't your song in 4/4?
Anyway the transition from clean to distorted sounds great!
Glad you loved it! 7/8 feels good, and 5/4 feels really calm like Lingus by Snarky Puppy.
Yes it is 4/4, I am planning to write one with odd time signature in the future.
Thanks! I put a lot of work on the mixing.

Reactions: Cedric L

MNR SYN

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Indonesia
www.youtube.com
I like the song. I listen to all of those bands that you wrote and I definitelly hear some Plini influence, the lick at 0:56 really reminds me of "Electric Sunrise". I'm not sure about the time signatures but just look at the ones that aal, dt, plini and intervals usually play and use those. Drums also play a really important role in the progressive music so you can't slack on them but you did a good job on programming them. The intro drums sound like something Polyphia would use and then the rest is more like intervals or plini.
Glad you liked it ! The lick at 0:56, I think it's quite similar from "Every Piece Matters".
Of course, drums are the most important. It has to be really tight and groovy over some odd changing time signature.
Thanks, I use EZDrummer 2 and stock drum plugins from Logic Pro X, they sounded really good and easy to use.

Reactions: Filip Tomiša

MNR SYN

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Indonesia
www.youtube.com
Been a while buddy nice to see you around again!

I dont really know and newer bands honestly. I'm afraid to listen to new music these days lol
It's good to be back here buddy! New website looks really nice, and I love the UI.

You should try listen to some, like Plini and Animals As Leaders. So groovy, tight, catchy and unpredictable.

Rute Rodrigues

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Portugal
Prog is life dude!!! XD Its my favorite style! I think you nailed it! I think prog musicians like to change time like they go from 3/4 to 5/4 then they go to 6/8.... Its really cool. Dream Theater loves to do it. Like In the Presence of Enemies they are always changing the time

Reactions: MNR SYN

MNR SYN

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Indonesia
www.youtube.com
Prog is life dude!!! XD Its my favorite style! I think you nailed it! I think prog musicians like to change time like they go from 3/4 to 5/4 then they go to 6/8.... Its really cool. Dream Theater loves to do it. Like In the Presence of Enemies they are always changing the time
Prog is love xD Thanks! They are some good time signature, if it keep changing in one song that sounds awesome and need so much focus to play.
Yeaah Dream Theater do that in soo many songs, I think the best one is The Dance of Eternity.

• Love
Reactions: Rute Rodrigues

MNR SYN

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Indonesia
www.youtube.com
Update guys! Following some positive comments and you guys loved my last song. I made another song, using 7/8 and 9/8 in the intro the song sounds more prog metal. Check this out! 🤟