• Syn and Papa Gates stream coming soon!

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream May 5th 1:00 CDT.
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

Recording directly on Linux

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    www.instagram.com
    Howdy, had anyone got much experience with this?

I have successfully installed jack, qtjackctl and rakarack, however the sound I seem to get through it is all rather dull like the treble was completely cut out.

I have been using this as my initial guide.

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    If you want to record your guitar in you PC you NEED an amp+cab simulator otherwise you will never get it to sound the way you want it.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Using Linux for home studio work is a lesson in hating yourself. It can be done, but it will be a constant source of tweaking and repairing to keep it working. That sort of thing should be left to geeks who want to do it to see if it can be done, and not by musicians who want to actually get shit done. My $.02.

• Sad
    Reactions: Nocturne

Andrei Moraru

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Using Linux for home studio work is a lesson in hating yourself. It can be done, but it will be a constant source of tweaking and repairing to keep it working. That sort of thing should be left to geeks who want to do it to see if it can be done, and not by musicians who want to actually get shit done. My $.02.

As someone who builds software, no words can describe how true this is for both music and programming...

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    Oh yeah, I'm on Linux too. I tried to record my guitar but it looks like a no man's land in term of recording software and a mess to set up.

Reactions: Ed Seith