• Syn and Papa G stream September 30th

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream Sept 30th.
S

Sweep Picking II

Lesson by: SynGates.com

Lucas Weiman

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
When you try to play it is there a specific part of a phrase you have trouble with?
Sweeping is made up of half a dozen of smaller techniques, all must be learned in order for it to sound good. If you want to get better, I would recommend making a video of you playing and explaining in your own words things that you get stuck on :)

Jackson Harsin

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
So I have been sweep picking for around 4-5 years in my technique and it was all self taught with supporting youtube videos at the time. Although I was using these videos as some nice practice, I realized that when I sweep up from the high e, i don't change direction until i sweep through the entirety of the arpeggio as it runs up, but in this video Syn changes direction a note before so he can sweep down entirely instead of in the middle, if that makes sense. My question is, is this all personal preference, or should I revise my technique? @Brian Haner Sr. @Syn Gates

Calvin Phillips

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
So I have been sweep picking for around 4-5 years in my technique and it was all self taught with supporting youtube videos at the time. Although I was using these videos as some nice practice, I realized that when I sweep up from the high e, i don't change direction until i sweep through the entirety of the arpeggio as it runs up, but in this video Syn changes direction a note before so he can sweep down entirely instead of in the middle, if that makes sense. My question is, is this all personal preference, or should I revise my technique? @Brian Haner Sr. @Syn Gates
Are you saying when you change from ascend to descend? I always try to change as soon as possible if I can.

Reactions: Jackson Harsin

Ben Grosskreuz

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I know exactly what you mean...I had to relearn it like Syn does it and it makes it so much easier...then you don't have to make this awkward string jump it just effortlessly slides into the downward sweep

Reactions: Jackson Harsin

gregshredguitar

New Student
May 4, 2020
My fingers really struggle when it comes to playing the same fret across two or three strings when you "roll" your fingers across the fretboard. I'm almost there when descending the arpeggio, but when coming back up - I just can't get my finger to roll properly?

Any advice 😫

Ids Schiere

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    www.facebook.com
    My fingers really struggle when it comes to playing the same fret across two or three strings when you "roll" your fingers across the fretboard. I'm almost there when descending the arpeggio, but when coming back up - I just can't get my finger to roll properly?

Any advice 😫
    It's tricky both my middle finger and pointing fingers can do it, my ring finger not because the string hits like the bit in between two knuckles and that hurts pretty bad.

It really just comes down to practicing in the end. First take two strings and go from there. For example take an Em in E shape A in A shape and B in A shape and alternate them. It's a nice sequence because it's a i IV V progression and hits to E melodic minor and at the same time you can use it to practice the rolling.