• Syn and Papa Gates stream coming soon!

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream May 5th 1:00 CDT.
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

What Do YOU Want to See on the SGS

Alicia Willis

Administrator
Staff member
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Augusta, GA
    Hey y'all !

I think by now, the majority of the our lovely members have seen @Jak Angelescu 's forum posts. And boy did she bring up some amazing topics!

It has been quite a while since the inception of the school, and while we have had some changes, a lot of things have remained the same throughout the past few years.

I wanted to start a forum post that's 100% open to all of you to address the things that you love or don't love, and also any ideas you guys have for the school. (100% NO Judgment)

What do you guys want to see? What are some things that would make you engage more ? Are there any lessons you would like added or expanded upon? Are there certain things you don't personally feel are working out well or things that you don't particularly care for? Would you change the layout of the school ? etc. etc.

Your responses can be literally anything !

Let's use this forum to gather as much information as we can !

I kindly ask you guys to please keep this forum to the subject at hand. I know we love to joke around, but I would really appreciate it if we can just use use this forum as a means to gather information.

Also, if for any reason y'all do not feel comfortable speaking here you can always PM me personally and give your thoughts and opinions.
    We all want and value your opinions as you guys are the ones who make this school/community what it is !

Lastly, in the future if you guys ever have any suggestions, there is a forum section where you can voice those. I know we have had a lot of new members recently and y'all may not know this exists. Check it out...we are always eager to hear from you guys ! :)

Last edited:

Michael Kokoszka

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    1. I would love to see break-downs of songs (genre doesn't matter. By this i mean an explenation how you can see that they are in a certain key or mode, how it relates to the theoretical chord progressions and stuff. (a play along with tabs can also be added)

2. a part in the forum to discuss fractal FM3 or axe fx presets

3. some sort of page that shows you a certain key over the enitre neck with note names, so you can use this as a visual basis for solloing or familiarizing with note positions on the fretboard. and maybe someting like a chord finder (show chords in different positions with note names and intervals)

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    1. I would love to see break-downs of songs (genre doesn't matter. By this i mean an explenation how you can see that they are in a certain key or mode, how it relates to the theoretical chord progressions and stuff. (a play along with tabs can also be added)
    I have done those for a while when I had the time to do them. May begin doing them again when I have time and I'm planning to make them a bit more professional than before.

Kfir Yaakovi

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    I'm not against contests. I think it's a great tool to encourage people and create more engagement in the school. And it's fun. I don't think it should be like a monthly thing, but like every 3 or 4 months. And the prizes don't necessarily have to be something physical every time, something that has to be shipped for the person who wins, it could be something else too.
    contests can be daily, i'm not against contests in general.
    I don't like the money involved though. I'll edit my post

Gabby Heafy

Music Theory Bragger
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    The past few contests brought many new members.. the contests did good. But I'd imagine it's hard to keep up on cash at hand for rewards. Altho I can't say how much they make off memberships now.
    I agree, but the contests can be made without giving rewards in money, and still motivate new students more and give them other kind of fun. 🤘

Alicia Willis

Administrator
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Augusta, GA
    I'm against contests with money involved as prizes.
    It's was fun at the beginning but I don't like the concept of making people be active by offering rewards.
    maybe contests for non-value awards only (like, title in the forum), not memberships/money.
    Maybe for money prizes it can be once a year. But I've got some feelings that some people were like "we had cool contests with awards, lets make them more often otherwise it's boring and I don't think I have nothing else to do here", when contests we're at least once a month.
    It started to feel like a commercial page "come to win the lottery with contests bla bla bla".

Regarding membership - I think the quarterly meeting should be to legends that has yearly membership or at least 2 months membership in a row before the meeting. it will have better outcome on the meeting and have people who are not here just for this

In addition to what I said before - adding a "test yourself" section, I think there can be challenges after some lessons, where you can upload your video for the challenge and have others to comment on this. like "make a rhythm riff implementing bla bla using bla bla" and you can have feedback from everyone.
    This will be specifically on the challenge and not in general videos, or something like that
    I think you hit a very strong note when you said, "I don't like the concept of making people be active by offering rewards".
    Thank you so much for your candid response Kfir!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jak Angelescu

Guitarist for Unknown🎸 Mother of Dragons🐉
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm against contests with money involved as prizes.
    It's was fun at the beginning but I don't like the concept of making people be active by offering rewards.
    maybe contests for non-value awards only (like, title in the forum), not memberships/money.
    Maybe for money prizes it can be once a year. But I've got some feelings that some people were like "we had cool contests with awards, lets make them more often otherwise it's boring and I don't think I have nothing else to do here", when contests we're at least once a month.
    It started to feel like a commercial page "come to win the lottery with contests bla bla bla".

Regarding membership - I think the quarterly meeting should be to legends that has yearly membership or at least 2 months membership in a row before the meeting. it will have better outcome on the meeting and have people who are not here just for this

In addition to what I said before - adding a "test yourself" section, I think there can be challenges after some lessons, where you can upload your video for the challenge and have others to comment on this. like "make a rhythm riff implementing bla bla using bla bla" and you can have feedback from everyone.
    This will be specifically on the challenge and not in general videos, or something like that
    I'm personally tired of the contests. I think they're a waste of time to organize. Nearly everyone here knows I've organized 80% of the contests here thus far, and even with the recent IG contest with so much on the line and so little to do, the amount of submissions were underwhelming. Also, a lot of students are starting to get frustrated that they put their time, heart and soul into these and they get discouraged when they don't win. I had a lot of issues with people feeling i chose based off of popularity, nepotism, etc.

I'm done with contests. By the vast majority, unless the prize is you living rent free with Syn and Michelle is your fucking nanny, it's a pain in the ass, excessively stressful and impossible to get the students to try. Not all, but most. We have like over 100,000 students, and 75% of the followers on the IG page took a poll and said they were guitarists, but we only had like 20 submissions.

Either you want to take the lessons/engage or you don't. And many have voiced that they ARE active in the lessons but just prefer to stay away from the community side. We shouldn't force them otherwise. I say we just casually pick a good, studious student at random and reward them

VizualSwami

Campfire Attention Holder
    Sep 28, 2020
    Vermont
    Not sure if someone has said this already but something I thought would be cool would be adding some pinned threads somewhere. I see a few of the same questions asked so it would be cool if there was a place where someone can go when they just joined or are curious about something specific. Also threads about common topics of interest people would want to share on. Threads like "favorite avenged sevenfold song or album" or "guitar/equipment showcase" or "what motivates you to play guitar". Also maybe even a social media sharing thread so people can post links to their youtube videos or soundclouds or whatever it is people are posting their work on these days. That was we can see what everyone else is up to outside of the school. I think threads like this would be a great place for people to browse through and post on when they first join.

I also personally really like the contests. I loved the Eddie Van Halen tribute contest and would love to see more stuff like that. It gave me something to work on and I was able to show my progress on the forums which was fun. It really was one of the main reasons I became more active on here.

I also wish there were more categories in the media items page. One thing I noticed was there is no way to view other people's covers (non-a7x songs). I would love to look through all of those videos. I think adding some more specific categories would make it easier for people to post and browse videos.

VizualSwami

Campfire Attention Holder
    Sep 28, 2020
    Vermont
    I was reading this on the synners hangout thread but do we have a discord? If not could we? It'd be cool if we could have a place to join voice chat and play some guitar together (pandemic style).

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit

Muz Malek

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    maybe lessons on how to play certain parts of a7x songs? there can be polls every week or month deciding what song people would like to learn most? (beast and the harlot, welcome to the family etc.)
    I think we can understand that the SGS team didn't want the school to be too A7X-centric, so as to cater lessons to everyone in general, regardless whether they know the band, Syn, or not.

But yes, as a fan, there's a little part of me that wished @Syn Gates could do a breakdown series on his inspiration to laying down some of the riffs, chords and solos for their songs :LOL: :LOL: Since they're already doing a breakdown series on their songs in general.

Maybe example, for solo breakdowns, can be done, part-by-part, and also relating them back to the respective lessons, say if the solos goes into a sweep, then the tutorial video can insert a caption "refer to Lesson 79 to 82", etc.

Cheers! :rock-hand::rock-hand:

Last edited:

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I was reading this on the synners hangout thread but do we have a discord? If not could we? It'd be cool if we could have a place to join voice chat and play some guitar together (pandemic style).
    There already is one

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Not to be THAT person but with things like the IG pages, a Discord, a possible Reddit and the Synner Instagram chat group I'm wondering if that's a part of why activity has died here.

Question: what's made you all go to these platforms for the school?
    Ooh, there's literally nothing happening in the discord 😅😅

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Muz Malek

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Not to be THAT person but with things like the IG pages, a Discord, a possible Reddit and the Synner Instagram chat group I'm wondering if that's a part of why activity has died here.

Probably they just trying to expand and utilize every social media possible to cater to people who prefer those respective forms of communication. Like idk, some people are more active on reddit/discord than IG, or more active in IG than this website, etc.?

That's the pros. But the cons obviously, as you've mentioned, is that there's too many to handle, thus I feel like it's best to just keep it minimal(like the IG page & this school) so that we can maximize communication :)

PS: I'm also kind of "that" person too, sis. hahaha. i feel ya.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Kfir Yaakovi

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Israel

Question: what's made you all go to these platforms

Question: what's made you all go to these platforms for the
    for the school?

I'm using Discord 24/7 for Gaming, so I'm always online there. There is actually 0 traffic on the SGS discord though

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com

Which Activity has died? There is still a lot of social Chat on Here and barely any serious guitar Chat on IG.

I am using IG cause it's quick and you can have some easy Talk with the new Made SGS Friends.
    I suggested discord because there is an easy call Option. I'd be 100% down for this to be implemented in the SGS but doubt it would be as well done as in existing apps