• Site Changes Coming Tuesday

Learn more We have a ton of really exciting updates coming to the site on Tuesday, so keep an eye out for them! During our updates, the site will briefly be down.
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

What Do YOU Want to See on the SGS

Alicia Willis

Administrator
Staff member
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Augusta, GA
    Hey y'all !

I think by now, the majority of the our lovely members have seen @Jak Angelescu 's forum posts. And boy did she bring up some amazing topics!

It has been quite a while since the inception of the school, and while we have had some changes, a lot of things have remained the same throughout the past few years.

I wanted to start a forum post that's 100% open to all of you to address the things that you love or don't love, and also any ideas you guys have for the school. (100% NO Judgment)

What do you guys want to see? What are some things that would make you engage more ? Are there any lessons you would like added or expanded upon? Are there certain things you don't personally feel are working out well or things that you don't particularly care for? Would you change the layout of the school ? etc. etc.

Your responses can be literally anything !

Let's use this forum to gather as much information as we can !

I kindly ask you guys to please keep this forum to the subject at hand. I know we love to joke around, but I would really appreciate it if we can just use use this forum as a means to gather information.

Also, if for any reason y'all do not feel comfortable speaking here you can always PM me personally and give your thoughts and opinions.
    We all want and value your opinions as you guys are the ones who make this school/community what it is !

Lastly, in the future if you guys ever have any suggestions, there is a forum section where you can voice those. I know we have had a lot of new members recently and y'all may not know this exists. Check it out...we are always eager to hear from you guys ! :)

Last edited:

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I agree, but the contests can be made without giving rewards in money, and still motivate new students more and give them other kind of fun. 🤘
    I agree 100% I'm just saying that could.be why they aren't more often. Imagine one award being 3 months free the other person gets a big package then.. a pat on the back. I won't but some will not see how its fair. Etc.

So it's possible they hold back til they have they have prizes so they avoid those confrontations. Then again I am not them so I can't really say. I'd be a little hesitant myself. With that said if everyone said the same thing as you then thered really be no problem. Some people can be pretty greedy. I can say that for the most part there aren't many greedy people here at all though.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Not to be THAT person but with things like the IG pages, a Discord, a possible Reddit and the Synner Instagram chat group I'm wondering if that's a part of why activity has died here.

Question: what's made you all go to these platforms for the school?
    Well for me.. im looking for viewers. If I can't get viewers by announcement then randoms are the way to go. For me I'm just trying to get my name out there. On twitch you'll get randoms every stream. Some will talk. Some just watch and go.

Can't say the same for everyone else but that's mainly why I do it. This place has the opposite really. Everyone knows everyone. So if I see no one here is watching I'll go find people to watch. Even if they don't have something nice to say arleast they watched it. I've tried cutting videos shorter to get more viewers but that didn't seem to go well either. When all else fails in one spot. Move to another.

If I'm wrong and people do watch parts (I know some are dragging) they just don't tell me what they like or hate so I have no idea really. I try to share everything I do with the school so people can atleast see what I'm doing and make sense of it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jak Angelescu

Guitarist for Unknown🎸 Mother of Dragons🐉
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Kansas City, MO
    Which Activity has died? There is still a lot of social Chat on Here and barely any serious guitar Chat on IG.

I am using IG cause it's quick and you can have some easy Talk with the new Made SGS Friends.
    I suggested discord because there is an easy call Option. I'd be 100% down for this to be implemented in the SGS but doubt it would be as well done as in existing apps
    We had a team meeting and one concern was that the numbers showed traffic being down. I personally don't see it. I see it as increased. What do you think?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    We had a team meeting and one concern was that the numbers showed traffic being down. I personally don't see it. I see it as increased. What do you think?
    Hmm I honestly am not as active as I was, also for personal reasons. I also don't see many of the long term members posting as much as they used to but I see a lot of new students interacting every now and then.
    Either way, I don't think that is something caused by other platforms like IG. No point in making a status update for every time you practiced or found a beautiful looking guitar. That is what group chats are for

Alicia Willis

Administrator
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Augusta, GA
    Hmm I honestly am not as active as I was, also for personal reasons. I also don't see many of the long term members posting as much as they used to but I see a lot of new students interacting every now and then.
    Either way, I don't think that is something caused by other platforms like IG. No point in making a status update for every time you practiced or found a beautiful looking guitar. That is what group chats are for
    I agree with you Dom. A lot of the long term members in fact aren’t as active as they use to be, but I personally feel like that’s a natural ebb and flow of the school. We all have things going on in our lives that take precedence over the school. I know myself in the past would be extremely active and then drop off the face of the earth at times lol. But it was always because of things in my personal life.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

Group chats are a great idea...when the entire group is in that chat. But I agree social media should stay that way. But then again this place has a status update like social media. It's also separate from the riffs and forums. An update there on your plans for day can't hurt.

Jak Angelescu

Guitarist for Unknown🎸 Mother of Dragons🐉
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Kansas City, MO

I agree. While I'm in the studio recording Kelly Heinen is like posting her progress almost daily

Kfir Yaakovi

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    Also I had in mind that in addition to "test yourself' section and "challenges" section, there can be some locked content that you need to complete some stages and get some achievements in order to unlock.
    like private videos or even private extra lessons you will have to complete tests from sections and get achievements and unlock them.

"Participate in 3 beginners challenges in order to open this lesson/video"

will encourage people to participate in lessons and stuff

Kfir Yaakovi

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    An on-site real-time chat room would be a good idea, too, though it might create moderation challenges.
    I think private groups outside school is inevitable, I don't think there is a replacement for instant messaging on phone and voice chat like discord and stuff.

Creating more on-site content to make people want to use the school (not for online chatting) is the way to go IMO

iridecently

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    So as someone who hasn't been on the site super long I do have some things that I noticed and I am very sorry if this ends up being a rant-y post. It obviously isn't meant that way, but I think it's important to throw these things out there to help improve the site ♥️
    • As others have mentioned: I feel like it'd be more logical if the site opened on the lessons instead of the forums. This is still a school after all :geek:
    • To me, the way the forums are currently displayed and designed feels super uninspiring to me, It's just this massive list of threads in white/grey. It doesn't really encourage me to participate, because I have no good overview and also I can imagine it feels kind of daunting for people just joining.
    • It very much feels like it's just the same bunch of people posting things on the forum. This is of course nothing against them, but it creates kind of a clique-y feel that might put off new members from posting.
    • As a follow up from that: New members aren't visible at all. It might be cool to have a banner/sidebar/whatever displaying who joined, who posted their first post/video or who has done their first post in a long time (say 1+ month). This way you can actively engage with these people without having to go out of your way to seek them out.
    • I get that the social aspect is a big part of this school, but right now it feels like memes and inside jokes are cluttering up the forums and otherwise interesting posts (Jak's recent threads being a prime example). I love memes, jokes and banter just as much as the next person, but I'd feel it's more appropriate to have this happen in a Discord (or an equivalent).
    • I don't think split-off social channels like Instagram group chats or Discord are bad, or pull engagement away from the site. A (well-managed) official Discord server could I think serve well as a more casual/accessible social channel for engaging with others. This could also provide a way for the community to engage with each other in different ways such as movie nights, playing video games together or just chatting about whatever.
    • As a European member, I feel like much of the activity on the school happens at times that I'm asleep. I don't have a solution for this obviously, but I thought it might be worth mentioning anyway 😅
    • Something that I think would be very cool and that just randomly jumped into my head: The ability to list your equipment on your profile. I think I'd be very interesting to see what people have and use and what they think of it. This could be expanded with reviews and/or guides for beginners (What do you need to start playing? What's the difference between humbuckers and single coils?).

Klementein

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Morlaix, France
    In fact, it's normal that people have private joies etc cause they are here for longer time than us. It's life, when we meet new people, we have to participate to know and be known by others.

For suggestions, it's not easy to do videos' exercises on phone. But have no real idea to made this better... 🤔

Alicia Willis

Administrator
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Augusta, GA
    In fact, it's normal that people have private joies etc cause they are here for longer time than us. It's life, when we meet new people, we have to participate to know and be known by others.

For suggestions, it's not easy to do videos' exercises on phone. But have no real idea to made this better... 🤔
    Thank you so much for your suggestion ! This has definitely been an issue the team has been working on for awhile now. Many have expressed they wanted an app and they took those concerns every seriously. Stay tuned ! There’s always something in the works here even if it doesn’t seem like it. 😉

Reactions: Klementein

Muz Malek

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Thank you so much for your suggestion ! This has definitely been an issue the team has been working on for awhile now. Many have expressed they wanted an app and they took those concerns every seriously. Stay tuned ! There’s always something in the works here even if it doesn’t seem like it. 😉
    That's how social media platforms like IG and Facebook are able to sustain tho.

In order for us to see what we want to see, the algorithm of the site has to be able programmed to do what FB, IG and others has always been doing - showing you content you're interested in.

And I'm pretty freaking sure those features will take up some time and (most definitely) a hell lot of money to do.

So guys, the donations come in pretty handy too if y'all want features that can accommodate to your liking. Won't hurt to fork out even a dollar or two to contribute :)

Last edited:
    • Love

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    [*]It very much feels like it's just the same bunch of people posting things on the forum. This is of course nothing against them, but it creates kind of a clique-y feel that might put off new members from posting.

[*]I get that the social aspect is a big part of this school, but right now it feels like memes and inside jokes are cluttering up the forums and otherwise interesting posts (Jak's recent threads being a prime example). I love memes, jokes and banter just as much as the next person, but I'd feel it's more appropriate to have this happen in a Discord (or an equivalent).
    I kinda get where you come from, however, the same people posting on the forum has been kind of going on since the beginning. Some people are a bit more active than others so they post more. I realize it may give the impression of a clique-esque feel but I don't think there's really anything wrong with it, some people are more active and anyone can join in the conversation if they want to.

On the banter and the inside jokes, i understand that those aren't for everyone and it sucks pretty bad if people joke around and you don't understand the joke because it makes you feel kind of excluded in a sense(I've felt like that multiple time in my life outside the SGS, especially through high school and it sucks). At the same time it's very hard to not have that happen if people talk and hangout together a lot and I do think some joking should be allowed to happen but maybe it would be nice to have the jokes be a bit more for everyone instead of it all being inside jokes (I will also try to keep that in mind myself)

Last edited:

VizualSwami

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    Sep 28, 2020
    Vermont
    Not sure if someone has said this already but something I thought would be cool would be adding some pinned threads somewhere. I see a few of the same questions asked so it would be cool if there was a place where someone can go when they just joined or are curious about something specific. Also threads about common topics of interest people would want to share on. Threads like "favorite avenged sevenfold song or album" or "guitar/equipment showcase" or "what motivates you to play guitar". Also maybe even a social media sharing thread so people can post links to their youtube videos or soundclouds or whatever it is people are posting their work on these days. That was we can see what everyone else is up to outside of the school. I think threads like this would be a great place for people to browse through and post on when they first join.

I also personally really like the contests. I loved the Eddie Van Halen tribute contest and would love to see more stuff like that. It gave me something to work on and I was able to show my progress on the forums which was fun. It really was one of the main reasons I became more active on here.

I also wish there were more categories in the media items page. One thing I noticed was there is no way to view other people's covers (non-a7x songs). I would love to look through all of those videos. I think adding some more specific categories would make it easier for people to post and browse videos.
    One other thing I forgot to mention (which I think a few other people also said) is that I'd love to see official a7x tabs. I feel like its hard to find the right tabs for a lot of songs, especially when it comes to duel guitar with Syn and Zacky. I know this would potentially be a lot of work but maybe start small with a few songs and build over time?