• Syn and Papa Gates stream coming soon!

click here to learn more It's happening. Private stream May 5th 1:00 CDT.
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

what scales are used for playing gypsy jazz?

Ezequiel Romanko

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
hey guys i wanted to improvise along with gypsy backing tracks but i don’t really give a clue on what scales im supposed to play it. can someone help me?

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Diminished, harmonic minor, melodic minor, blues scale, double harmonic major, alternate scale/super locrian.
Which one you can use depends on the chord you’re playing over. Generally speaking the harmonic minor, melodic minor and the blues scale work over the m6 chord, diminished, double harmonic major and super locrian work over the dominant seven chord. What to use over major6 chords I’m still not really sure because I usually play over either minor swing or Les yeux Noir and they only have minor 6 chords and dominant 7 chords.

Brian Haner Sr.

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 11, 2019
Gypsy is not scale based. It’s arpeggio based. Learn major arps (and Ma7 arps) also – AND THIS IS THE BIG ONE – min6 arps (As well as min9 arps) – which can be used over minor chords AND 9th chords, (an Amin6 arp works over Am and D9). Also diminished arps and dim scales work over the V chord. Play an F dim arp over an E7 chord, (think 1/2 step up). Lastly, the Phrygian Dominant scale (5th mode of harm min) works well over the V as well.
Good luck!
PG

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
PG is right, gypsy jazz is really arpeggio based but I kinda figured I’d just answer his question. Especially since scales help finding arpeggios. I’m also kinda dancing so sorry if this is rushed😅

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Not saying you were wrong I’m just saying the examples he gave really open up the gates..I always wanted to try but I never really knew the starting points. This sorta answers that question for me.

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yeah I know! pG just always seems to give away the part I don’t really answer and sometimes I feel kinda bad about it 😅

Ezequiel Romanko

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
thank you really much PG, im starting learnin those arps, and start practicing to some backing tracks,thank you guys for have the time to answer me 🙂