Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard

Which tuning to practice in?

Drü

Feb 13, 2020
I have a guitar with a floyd rose so changing the tuning is quite time consuming. Pretty much all theory learning resources and exercises use standard tuning but when playing songs like (A7X songs mostly :) ) . Its mainly things like fretboard memoristation exercises that make me feel i should stick to standard tuning. But if im gonna be mostly be playing in other tunings, should i not spend as much time on fretboard memoristation?
So basically should i spend more time in standard tuning or is it ok to learn in alternate ones, and if so what advice to you have to adapt learning to those other tunings.
Thank you!

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Dominik Gräber

Ambassador
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.youtube.com
    I have a guitar with a floyd rose so changing the tuning is quite time consuming. Pretty much all theory learning resources and exercises use standard tuning but when playing songs like (A7X songs mostly :) ) . Its mainly things like fretboard memoristation exercises that make me feel i should stick to standard tuning. But if im gonna be mostly be playing in other tunings, should i not spend as much time on fretboard memoristation?
    So basically should i spend more time in standard tuning or is it ok to learn in alternate ones, and if so what advice to you have to adapt learning to those other tunings.
    Thank you!
    First of all if you don't want to tune a Lot I would recommend you getting the digitech drop Pedal. You can digitally drop tune your guitar Up to one octave! (Or down to?) And then what Ids Said. If you understand your theory the Tuning doesn't really Matter.

Chris Johnston

Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    What @Ids Schiere said here. I'd personally recommend learning note memorization in Standard tuning, even if you play in Drop D - but still make sure you know how the tuning changes affect the note names on the string. Cause you never know when someone will hand you an acoustic/electric guitar that's in standard and want you to jam rhythm with them. So it's good to know your notes in Standard on that string for that kinda thing :) Mind you, the more you understand how your notes work on your guitar, alternate tunings won't be an issue! 🤟